Thread: lens hood

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default lens hood

I am testing two different no rigid lens hood for my Canon 500 f.4 Is..; I have two ..one the same dimension of rigid but a bit less large so could more difficult put in right position..the other (working also with 600) is a bit longer.
    Could it be a problem ?
    Thanks

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Not sure I understand your question. What problem are you concerned about?
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You are concerned that the longer hood will vignette?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

If you are concerned that the longer hood might vignette you might be justly so. Keep in mind that the non-rigid lens hoods sometimes end up not so perfectly round.
    Any section that encroaches in toward the lens field of view has the potential to cause vignetting in that area. This becomes more likely to happen the longer the lens hood is.
    Some of these wrap on lens hoods have a ridge that positions them on the lens, which will prevent you from sliding it back.

Thank You Posts

I own two types of "soft" hoods for my 500 f4 and 600 mm f4. I have the one made by AquaTech ( https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/618407-REG/Aqua_Tech_1381_SoftHood_Collapsing_Hood_for.html ). I also own the one made by LensCoat ( https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._realtree.html ). The one made by Aquatech is more expensive but in my opinion, it is a much better product. Better quality and the AquaTech will keep it's round form much better than the other brand. Great for travelling.