Thread: Common Redpoll in flight

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Common Redpoll in flight

Attached Images Attached Images

While in Minnesota we spent some time trying to get photos of these tiny finches as they came and went from the feeders. With so many perches all over it was very difficult to prefocus and have any luck so I mostly used my full center zone focused on the edge of the feeder and waited for the birds to approach.

Canon 1DX mark ii and Canon 500 f4 ii + 1.4x iii. F5.6, ISO 1600, SS 1/6400

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Isaac, great technique to achieve this type of shot, and I must say, good DOF if you were prefocussed on the edge of the feeder. I like the swept back wings, and the curled feet locking onto a perching position. I do like your clean smooth BG. Well captured.

3. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice Isaac.
    Sharp where it counts.Lovely catchlight in the eye.
    I see some posterization in the BG on the RHS of frame where I assume you cloned out the feeder?
    I see a bit of noise on the OOF far wing. I will often do a bit of NR to this area as it is OOF anyway and so there is minimal loss of detail.
    Well done!
    Gail

5. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hey Gail. I don't see any posterization on my screen but I'm sure you do. The background changes from that purplish color to greenish on that side. Must have been some bush or something across the street from those feeders as the same color is in the top left as well. I'm not sure what causes that on certain screens and not on others. I even checked one photo lately on 2 identical screens and there was posterization on one and not another. Wish I knew how to solve that. As for the rear wing I am always torn on if that is noise or just some grain as the area falls out of the depth of field. Anyhow, here is a version with it removed and thanks for the helpful remarks as always.
    Last edited by Isaac Grant; 02-26-2018 at 03:38 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful frame. Well captured, love the detail you got. HA and facial expression are really good. Lovely flight pose. did you get any with wings forward.. Very well done Isaac. I see some posterization on my screen as well. Top left corner. I get this problem a lot. I found that the least processing you do on the BG, the better. sometimes I have posted a frame with a little posterization, and I noticed that you still seen it, but, others didn't. I'm wondering is it our 27 5K screens... I would love to solve that as well.

Will

8. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yeah Will I don't know. It may well be our screens. I have 2 files where the full res are fine but when I downsize there is banding and posterization. Seems to happen on darker backgrounds or especially greenish backgrounds (like where you and Gail are noticing it). Haven't posted them as I really don't know a fix other than cloning from areas that don't have it. Much of what we are seeing surely could be from the differences in monitors or compression I guess. Nothing done on the background other than some NR. It surely isn't on the full res of this and I don't see it here but I'm sure you do. I know Dave and I were looking at a shot where I could see on mine but he couldn't on his and we sent each other screenshots so we could see what the other saw. He also has the 5k iMac. Maybe there is variation or QC issues that you don't get on the really high end or stand alone monitors?

I don't have any wing down shots where the body angle is correct. Mostly the birds were coming from behind the feeder so they were angling away to come in for a landing. I'd love to try and shoot at a feeder set up where those types of shots are easier. Meaning perches on either side of a feeder and all on the same plane so could get birds coming parallel.
    Last edited by Isaac Grant; 02-26-2018 at 07:31 PM.

10. Thanks William Dickson thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the repost very much. The posterization is much less now. One trick I have learned when I see posterization is to go to Tonal Contrast in Nik Efex Pro and move the midtone and shadow slider down to - 40-50 (or to taste, on the BG only) .
    I like the rear wing now!
    Gail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gail I didn't touch the background at all on the repost. Only applied NR to the rear wing. No clue why the background has changed. Has to be something with compression or different monitors I guess. Neat trick with tonal contrast. I will try that on those images I mentioned and see if it works. Thanks.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am not seeing any posterization, just another wonderful flight image. If you do see some posterization, you can try a 70-pixel Gaussian Blur on it ...

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

14. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a 'wow' shot Isaac. No posterisation for me either and something that's hard to solve in my experience. An unfortunate result of the truncated colour space of sRGB. The angle, wing position and background are all pretty well perfect in this one. Wish it was mine.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

No posterization on my screen either.
    This one looks Flippin awesome Isaac!!
    Great details and beautiful colors.
    The light angle looks perfect and I love the visable tucked feet ready for landing.
    Not much I would change about this image but I do notice a finger print looking smudge just above the number one primary on the left wing. Easy to clone out.
    Speaking of cloning, I sometimes will clone the backgroun of the downsized image, if it has the same color, to remove some of the posterizing.
    Well done
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

17. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great flight image - not a species I recall seeing IF before! Extended feet are fantastic.

19. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

HI Isaac, Really wonderful technique and i love this il redpoll with his tiny feet ready ffor anding. I have the same 27inch IMac screen and i see the same posterization on both images... wonder why as well.... anyway, it doesn't distract me from a splendid image. Well done, the repost w/o noise on the rear wing is better.