Thread: Mountain Hare in snow

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Mountain Hare in snow

Attached Images Attached Images

Different take on the hare to my previous post. This is the full width of the frame but cropped top and bottom in a bit as there wasn't any interest.

Canon 7D mark ii & Sigma 500mm f4 tripod mounted @ f/8, 1/1600 sec, ISO 400

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Awesome frame here. Love the snow and the blowing snow. Looks like winter for sure.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

At first glance this looked like one of Andreas' seals, Simon. I took me a few moments to figure this out with the snow disguising the shape and features of the hare quite well. Nice detail and well handled light even though it looks quite challenging to deal with. I'm guessing the airborne snow and ice is the result of strong wind?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Pure View Post
    I'm guessing the airborne snow and ice is the result of strong wind?
    That's right. It wasn't actually snowing, what you see is spindrift being blown about by the wind.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

5. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Simon this is excellent ,talking about catching the elements you could not have done it better.Just enough of the eye showing and nice detail on the fur showing that is not covered in snow.A great piece of true wild natural history photography,very well done.

Keith.

7. Thanks Simon Davis thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Simon - You handled the mixed light well and this does scream cold. I too found it difficult to know what the animal was without your intro. I wish the ears were more visible. I like the detailed snow but wish there was less of the oof, detail-less snow in the fg, especially on the right side of the frame. I also find that the bright blue specular hl on the right side draws the eye away from the hare. Btw your embedded color profile is ProPhoto, as I understand it that may result in a color shift when viewed depending on the browser used. It's better to convert to sRGB when resizing to post on the web.

TFS,
    Rachel
    Last edited by Rachel Hollander; 02-27-2018 at 08:04 AM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Hollander View Post
    Hi Simon - You handled the mixed light well and this does scream cold. I too found it difficult to know what the animal was without your intro. I wish the ears were more visible. I like the detailed snow but wish there was less of the oof, detail-less snow in the fg, especially on the right side of the frame. I also find that the bright blue specular hl on the right side draws the eye away from the hare. Btw your embedded color profile is ProPhoto, as I understand it that may result in a color shift when viewed depending on the browser used. It's better to convert to sRGB when resizing to post on the web.

TFS,
    Rachel
    Thanks Rachel. I chose this one to share due to the conditions it portrays in contrast to the previous portrait. I have some more so maybe can share another viewpoint of the hares. I agree the oof snow is not that interesting, I cropped some out already but could potentially have gone further?

Now you mention the colour profile it reminds me you said that on a previous image so I need to try and remember to convert to sRGB when saving as jpegs :)

10. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Simon!

Really cool capture and I like the POV

This image would be awesome as part of a Story Sequence - perhaps you have more where the Mountain Hare sows his lovely ears too?

I think colours and detail are great, framing works, overall a well exposed and processed frame.

Thank you Simon for sharing, your contribution here is much appreciated,

Kind regards,
    Last edited by Gabriela Plesea; 02-27-2018 at 12:59 PM.
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Simon -- Agree with the above , difficult to identify without the intro but well captured . Conditions looks harsh , must be testing time for these creatures. That hl on the rhs is a bit of distraction. I also would have cropped from the lhs , coming behind the hare. Sharpness slightly crunchy , especially the snow on its head . A nice image though . TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I guess I stare at too many hares, really interesting to read through the previous comments as for me this is instantly recognisable as our mountain hare. Again a lovely image made for me by the way it captures the elements that these guys live in. The snow covered coat,swept forwards whiskers and the spiraling snowdust speak of the cold and high winds. Great work with the exposure and light Simon.

Wow this trip was really good for you, very well done mate i'd be thrilled with these again a complete joy to view

keep them coming

stu.

14. Thanks Simon Davis thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This image makes me shiver just looking at it. Good detail & exposure. I like the point of view also.
    Andrew