Thread: Common Merganser

Forum Participant Somdeb Biswas's Avatar
    Shivmandir - Kadamtala, Siliguri, West Bengal, India
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Common Merganser

Attached Images Attached Images

Common Merganser
    Every winter some of the lakes/ streams of our part of India provides habitat for these migrating species. I try my level best in this shot to frame the ambiance.

(Nikon D500, Nikon 500 f4 G ED VR, TCIII 1.4x) Shutter - 1/200 seconds, FNumber – 7.1, ISO – 640.

I APPRECIATE CRITICISMS. THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR VIEWING & INPUTS.
    Last edited by Somdeb Biswas; 02-22-2018 at 01:02 PM. Reason: posting bigger size

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Welcome Somdeb,
    You have come to a wonderful community where people are helpful and encouraging. I like very much the ambiance in the frame you captured: the colors are wonderful. I would suggest a few things to consider: The lovely merganser needs to have more detail, and viewing the eyes or an eye in a position is key. Also, the exposure on the bird and shadowing has concealed detail... Lastly, the FG and BG is so lovely that I would consider cropping the top and losing the dark colors... Looking forward to more of your work!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Somdeb, a big welcome to BPN, and I hope you enjoy sharing and learning along the way. Good advice from Ann, and I would add trying to achieve a fast shutter speed at all times so as to achieve a sharp image/subject. I do like the two tone colours to the water, and another vote for trying to crop away the darker band on top of the frame.

Forum Participant Somdeb Biswas's Avatar
    Shivmandir - Kadamtala, Siliguri, West Bengal, India
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks a ton for your inputs. I post a modified version here. Please have a look.
    with warm regards,
    Somdeb

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Somdeb,
    I immediately like the difference without the top dark areas o your first post. The colors are certainly unique and peaceful. The bird is in an awkward position while preening and does not show a face or side view or one eye... Also, because the bird is tiny in the frame, the colors, maybe white and gray, are unable to retain any detail that may be there. I look forward to your next post! Thanks for your effort...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The color and blur are outstanding, but without eye contact it leaves us wanting more. These 'small-in-frame' shots are
    super cool and very hard to effectively execute, so I applaud your effort.