Thread: Anna's hummingbird

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Anna's hummingbird

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 1 DX
    600mm and 1.4 x
    ISO 2000 SS 1/500 f 5.6
    As i was leaving a small park in Vancouver, I spotted this handsome boy on this cool perch. I think I took 200 images before he finally "flared" his head feathers to show off the wonderful pink.
    PP: Crop to modest pano from top and bottom. Processed IN LR then off to PS for NR to BG and cloning of 1 stem and 1 flower and color balance adjustment and usm to JPEG.
    Comments and critiques always learned from and appreciated with thanks,
    gail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the pose and how much the pink / bird stands out against the BG. I love the fanned tail and dead on stare. The perch is nice, but I do somewhat wish that leaf wasn't there, but that is being super picky! I would be very happy with this frame. TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That sure was a nice parting gift for leaving that park! Super cool pose and I love the flared tail. Background is great. These spunky little birds are so fun. I see them often when visiting family in Washington but have yet to get a proper shot of one. They always seem to be sitting on power lines or feeders. I do find the area to the right of the bird to be a little busy. I might be tempted to clone out the part behind the perch and the long stem that protrudes out and just leave the dry leaf. But then it may be too sparse. Not sure.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am a big fan of the head on views. I also like the colorful stand out of the bird from the brownish perch. I am too keen on the OOF stuff on the lower right corner. Maybe a tighter crop? TFS.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Love this one Gail, and the gorget steals the show for sure. I would be tempted to clean up the RHS of the branch and then move the hummer to the RHS and then the multi flora rose branch would be more appealing... Its a beautiful frame, and those tiny feet! way to go

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gail,
    Love the head on look, the colors on the hummingbird, and that flared tail. Nice BG. Another vote for working the RHS some due to the vegetation over there. Very nice frame.
    Allen

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent comp and DOF. I shoot them quite a bit and they are so small getting foliage around them sharp is tough.
    Nice work.
    Dan Kearl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Great suggestions everyone. I reworked the image and I like it a lot better. I am always loathe to clone that much but it looks a lot better now.
    Thank you

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow! Way better!! Love the new comp and cloning. Really concentrates our eyes us on the beautiful bird, and nothing else. I have been playing with Hummers for the last few weeks in Cost Rica and I know exactly what you mean about hundreds of shots to get one like this. It's really wild how they can turn these colors on in an instant and back off again in the next instant. I sat for combined hours trying to get a shot like this of the Fiery throated hummers in CR. Never got one that I was really happy with but watched them light up hundreds of times. Usually when another hummer comes by. They do it flight a lot witch is really cool but even harder to get right.
    Anyhow this is simply awesome as you have retained great detail and color in the gorget and the flared pose is way cool too. Well done Gail
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super job Gail. Makes a big improvement for sure. I tend to shy away from cloning sometimes as well but always try to remember that I am the only one who knows it is there.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gail, you seem to be turning out winner after winner. I like the head on capture here, and well timed to capture the gorget in all its striking colour. Lovely clean BG, and your repost has worked out nicely.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Ooohhh somethings missing... APPLAUSE!!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another beauty Gail - the little cloning has cleaned things up nicely

Mike