Thread: More Common Goldeneye Courtship Behaviour.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default More Common Goldeneye Courtship Behaviour.

Attached Images Attached Images

I spent a few hours lying on the ice watching and photographing these beautiful ducks performing a variety of courtship behaviours. For all the hardships this causes (cold, wet, hungry, strains, cramps, the "really gotta go but stuck here" feeling) the results are really worth it. Lots of head throws and calling, but once in a while they add in a good double-kick for added splashing effect in the hopes of impressing the nearby females. Although the eye is not visible here, I really like the pose and big splash. Hope you like it too!

Canon 7DII + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/2500s., f/5.6, ISO 400, natural light, handheld, about 80% FF (cropped a bit right and bottom).

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Daniel,
    He looks like he is really putting on a show - must have been great to witness despite the hardships you mention. I like the composition showing a max amount of water spray and the pose shows he is really putting his all into it. Nicely captured.
    Allen

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pretty cool Daniel, it took me a second to realize what part of the bird I was looking at which works well for a behavior type shot. I love the huge splash and nice BG. Looks like it was worth the effort! TFS