Thread: Frosty bison in fog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Frosty bison in fog

Attached Images Attached Images

From my "Winter in Yellowstone" tour last week. This image is from along the Madison River on the only cold day we had -20 F... So magical in Yellowstone when temperatures are way below zero... Steam and fog coming off open water of the Madison and the rising sun is giving the steam a warm golden glow which I enhanced a bit in PP.... Bison is standing in a pullout so I got down low to not show the road.. Shown full frame.

Camera Model: Canon EOS-1D X
    Copyright: D. Robert Franz
    Shutter speed: 1/4000 sec
    Aperture: 5.6
    Exposure mode: Av
    Exposure compensation: +2/3
    Metering mode: Multi-segment
    ISO: 800
    Lens: EF800mm f/5.6L IS USM

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dale - That looks like a very cold bison. I like the bit of backlighting as well as the lit fog. I do want more room at the bottom for the virtual legs but understand you were avoiding the road there. Looks like it was a productive trip. Did you see any wolves or the bobcat?

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yea I had to sacrifice legs for the elimination of the road... A trade off for sure! We did get to photograph wolves on the dirt road along the north side of the park near Roosevelt Arch. Lamar Valley had only 3 wolves (Lamar Pack). We just missed them by a day. The Wapiti Lake Pack is now up to 18-20 wolves and is roaming all over the place from the Lamar Valley to Old Faithful, the Madison to the North Gate. It was the Wapiti's that we photographed. No bobcats have been photographed this year along the Madison. A snowcoach driver did photograph one while we were there and we saw fresh tracks on the opposite side of the road along the Madison away from the river but they don't seem to be hunting waterfowl this year. I noticed the waterfowl numbers on the Madison were WAY down.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the update. Interesting about the changing wolf population. Looking forward to seeing the images. Not so subtle hint, hint

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Hollander View Post
    Thanks for the update. Interesting about the changing wolf population. bg3:
    Wolf population within the park boundaries has remained pretty stable since 2008 at about 100 wolves in 8-9 packs... One pack is in and out of the parks southeastern corner.. The wolf population within the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem is stable as well. The problem is the population of the primary prey animal elk is down considerably in the park. Yellowstone is not very good winter range for elk so they migrate out of the park to find good grazing and the wolves follow. Got to have something to eat. There just aren't many elk in the Lamar Valley any more. Bison is a tough animal for wolves to kill and leads to lots of wolf mortality but they are adapting a bit to bison predation. The Wapiti Lake pack was killing bison around Old Faithful. The Mollie wolf pack is the most proficient pack in the park on bison predation.
    Last edited by D. Robert Franz; 02-21-2018 at 06:35 PM.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like that you got low & shot up a bit as it demonstrates the size of these critters. The frosted fur is a nice touch. I think this would look good with a square crop.
    Andrew

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dale -- This one looks quite beautiful , especially the golden hues and the frosty Bison , nicely framed as well . TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by haseeb badar View Post
    Hi Dale -- This one looks quite beautiful , especially the golden hues and the frosty Bison , nicely framed as well . TFS !
    I like a lot the light and situation.Nice composition. No problem abut legs..or me also better...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very effective indeed Dale,

one can really feel the chilled element here, I too wish for more lower leg room, but understand your intentions.

TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gorgeous light enhanced by the elements you have described,I find it wonderful that these guys are on the side of a road and you had to take steps to avoid this with framing. Fabulous detail in the snow encrusted coat I also really like the tree top left

Very cool Dale

stu