Thread: Sparring

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sparring

Attached Images Attached Images

So I'm curious about people's thoughts about this one. Does the intersection with mom in the bg kill the image for you? These were the two year old cubs and they spent most of one late morning sparring while mom grazed nearby. As with most play this involved them pushing and pulling each other in different directions all while mom continued to be on the move as well. As luck would have it in the image with the best head angles as well as partially standing poses, they intersected with mom in the bg. There wasn't really a way to avoid it with everything happening fast and continuous movement of all 3 bears. Originally I wasn't going to process it, but then the action drew me in. WDYT?

Canon 5D3
    100-400 II @ 330mm
    1/1500
    f5.6
    ISO 800
    HH, ff, levels, curves, TK luminosity masks, color adjustments, sharpened in PSCC.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The right one looks like it is biting the throat of the left one. Good detail on both the cubs. I like the composition and the grasses. I don't mind the mom in the background.

3. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This image is all about the action. It is where my eye is drawn. The detail is excellent & the exposure is right on. The sow in the background does not kill the image IMO. I might consider toning down the HL in the sow's fur to minimize its impact.
    Andrew

5. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely timing on the play fighting, 2 great poses and I love we get the view of the eye on the cob on the right.

Having mum in the BG doesn't kill the image for me, but having seen some of your other work from the trip it would probably knock it out of the 'print' category

Mike

7. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks John, Andrew and Mike for the comments and suggestions. I'm glad you like the action. Mike - I agree with you on the print.

Thanks again,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Action draws the eye into it. OOF bear in BG is not a big issue for me.. Well done Rachel.

10. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel -- First of all excellent details and IQ here, excellent work ! Terrific moment ! Liked the way you have handled the light and colours look fine as well. For me the Bear intersecting the in the BKG is a bit unfortunate. Doesn't actually kills this of for me but I feel it takes away a lot from the frame . I also would have liked some more space at the foot of the image.

TFS !

12. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Dale and Haseeb

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Definitely not a throw-a-way, but not a wall hanger if you get my drift Rachel,

a great moment nonetheless, liking the action & contasting colour here, but might just back off the sharpening and top rim HL's ever so slightly for me, easily fixed.

TFS

15. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dearest Rachel,

Super capture of those youngsters at play! To answer your question, the presence of mom in the BG is certainly not an issue to me: I feel she helps create the story, if you know what I mean

Love the action here, colours and tonality look good and so is sharpness. I just think more space at the bottom would have greatly benefitted this image. Maybe try go tighter and see what happens, just a mere suggestion.
    Really nice DoF Rachel, techs look good. Lovely PP work as usual. I must admit I am a bit rusty in terms of processing, been away for three weeks and have had some issues with my computer for a while now so very reluctant to post, LOL. But I will try Nevertheless it is great to be back and I am happy to be able to participate here again. I always say living in Africa is awesome and being surrounded by wildlife is a real privilege. But at times it is also frustrating because technology is here yet one does not always have access to it. Internet and WiFi still a luxury in my village. So I am off to try process something from my last trip before I get "disconnected" lol. Thank you so much for sharing, as always a pleasure to view

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

17. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post