Thread: Lion pride

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Lion pride

Attached Images Attached Images

Another capture from the pride of Lions I had the pleasure to spend time with in Bots, seven glorious days.

Shot early in the morning, around 6.40am in some nice warm light. The two females were alert, on the hunt for breakfast as the young cubs played on the termite mound. How did I know they were on the hunt, half an later the two females ambushed a large male warthog.

Just my thoughts:
    - The branch of vegetation touching the females RH face as viewed is what it is, unfortunate, but... no chance of moving the vehicle as the other sub adults were playing around the vehicle. Around 7-8 youngster of various ages with two gorgeous females.
    - The other branch covering the yawing cub is also unfortunate, but no a dealer breaker as you can see the mouth and partial tongue
    - The highlight on the females collar is not blown, but in the hi res there is more detail as expected

Thanks to those who posted or viewed the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Lion pride (Panthera leo)
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 200-400f/4 HH
    Exposure: 1/1600s at f/8 ISO2500
    Original format: Landscape, cropped slightly
    Processed via: LR Classic CC & PSCC2018

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve - This works quite well with nice light. I particularly like the strong stance and gaze of the lioness. The branch along the lioness doesn't bother me as much as the one in front of the cubs. I want to see what looks like a funny expression/yawn of the middle cub even if oof.

TFS,
    Rachel

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good one Steve. The lioness conveys the majesty & power of these predators. Lovely light. I agree with Rachel re. the branch in front of the yawning cub–It just bugs me. It was the second thing that I noticed in this image.
    Andrew

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

As I said in my intro guys, I feel it's not a deal breaker and decided to use this frame rather than ones prior or post where the cub isn't yawning as the strong focus is to me, still on the female. Perhaps I should have used another frame and so reduce any conflict between the two and the branch over the face then is part and parcel of the BKG, the yawn is secondary????

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi again Steve. Yes, I think if you do have one with the same strong gaze and stance but without the cub's yawn, it won't divide attention or make us want to see the cub in the same way. Then the cub and the stalk fade more into the bg.

Just my $.02

Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the pose on the female lion. Such an intense look on her face. Sweet light as well. Sounds like quite the experience.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- I think you were in a bit of a tricky situation in terms of framing the family , but you have done well in framing this one as far as I am concerned . That branch intersecting the face of the lion in the bkg is a bit unfortunate. Apart from that i really liked the way the image is framed , starting with a big lioness in the front and slowly fading away with smaller ones behind her , that appears quite pleasing to the eyes. Colours, Details, IQ , as usual very high standards . Lovely light as well . Enjoyed viewing this one .

TFS !

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Steve,

Lovely image in gorgeous light and I so like the 3D feel here. Nice techs and good choice of DoF.

Beautiful colours and detail, great penetrating stare from the lioness. She is such prominent and stands out beautifully against the BG. Composition works well for me.

Thank you for sharing Steve, and my apologies for late comments. Hope to share some lion images soon, just returned from a little trip to the promised land and already busy to process some images

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea