Thread: Pel's Fishing Owl

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Pel's Fishing Owl

Attached Images Attached Images

When I told the guides in Botswana that the Pel's Fishing Owl was at the top of my target list, they smiled condescendingly and told me not to get my hopes up. It seems he is at the top of every birder's list, and many people go home without getting a glimpse of him. So when we worked our way across the marsh and I heard someone behind me say "Pel's!", I thought they were pulling my leg. But sure enough there he was somewhat hidden by foliage in a large tree. We worked our way around to an almost clear look of this magnificent creature. He is 10% larger than our Great Horned Owl, and a lovely cinnamon color. This was shot hand-held from a "mokoro" (an updated version of the traditional dugout canoe). Almost full-height, cropped from horizontal.

D500, Sigma 150-600 @ 500mm, ISO 3200, 1/1600s @ f/7.1 manual.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well done. Good that you were able to get the face in, with only a little bit obscured by the leaf. Those talons look menacing. I know how difficult it can be to catch a photo of an owl...let alone one that's lesser seen. On a recent trip to Sydney I was at Centennial Park where a local told me where there was a Powerful Owl (never snapped one of these). Sure enough I got to see it, although it was high up in the tree and somewhat hidden by the leaves. I did manage a couple of decent shots though...one similar to yours.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Tough background to work with, but by the sounds of it you take what you can from this species. Glad you guys found one and had good enough view to bring home some souvenirs of it.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Bill,
    Congrats on getting this tough species. A beautiful bird even though some feather detail is lacking it seems to me. In any event, glad you connected with this species for a fairly open shot.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have never seen or even heard of one Bill so thanks for sharing it. Its is a good story to go along with a compelling image. The fishing Owl looks like it means business and to me actually does look like a cross between an Osprey and an Owl .

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I hope you guys had a wonderful trip Bill! Looking forward to seeing what you got!
    These guys are tough to get out in the open.They are also usually high up in the tree so one is always shooting against a bright sky.
    I think you did well considering the circumstances (tippy mokoro also adds to degree of difficulty!)
    Did you clone out some stuff near the RHS of head? The outline of the head look odd.
    Gail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks all. And especially thanks to you, Gail. It was your marvelous images that served as inspiration for the trip; and your subsequent advice was invaluable. We went to the right places, at the right time, and carried just the right gear, all thanks to your advice.

As to the head, I don't recall cloning out anything there, but it does look a bit lumpy.