Thank You Posts

Default Here Comes the Sun

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 1DX
    f/4 500mm with 1.4
    f/7.1
    1/1250
    ISO 1000

I am beginning to find ways to get closer to these birds. If I see a bird whilst driving, I keep on going and park up at the next passing place. Some birds fly off immediately, but, now and again, you get a curious bird. Keeping low, in amongst the heather, I was photographing this Red Grouse...... Towards me he came, bold as brass. I have a few frames with a more conventional HA, but, I kinda liked this one...

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This one makes me laugh Will. Definitely unconventional but what an attitude. Tack focus and smooth clean background. I like it. tfs

3. Thanks William Dickson thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi Will, do you look like a grouse by any chance? haha, I think its terrific and i'm fascinated by the red individual tubey things atop the red eyebrow, i wonder if they are flesh or individual feathers? I would like to see just the head as almost everything below becomes oof for such a close-up! Fun, and I think you've cracked their "security system!"

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by annmpacheco View Post
    Hi Will, do you look like a grouse by any chance? haha, I think its terrific and i'm fascinated by the red individual tubey things atop the red eyebrow, i wonder if they are flesh or individual feathers? I would like to see just the head as almost everything below becomes oof for such a close-up! Fun, and I think you've cracked their "security system!"

Thanks for that Ann. I was smiling there, when you asked if I looked like a grouse.. This one appears to be studying me .. The red tubes things are called Wattles. It isn't feather, looks like waxy plastic. The males have brighter ones, especially during the breeding season.

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely, playful shot. I am a huge fan of expressive close-up headshots like this. Beautiful detail in the eyecombs.

7. Thanks William Dickson thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Will - you seem to have mastered the awesome bg, super detailed, close up shots of these guys. I love the prep you put into getting these shots. Thanks for sharing that story.

9. Thanks William Dickson thanked for this post