Thread: Mountain Hare Portrait

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Mountain Hare Portrait

Attached Images Attached Images

Just got back from a week in the Scottish Highlands. Being out in the snow and wind gives a real appreciation for what the wildlife has to put up with - this mountain hare was taking a pummelling from the wind and snow.

Spent nearly two hours photographing this hare working slowly closer. This was the one time he stood up rather than hunkering down in the snow.

7D mark ii & Sigma 500 f4 on tripod @ 1/1000 sec, f/8, ISO 250

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the detail in the fur that you have captured. The image definitely captures the harshness of winter & the difficulties of survival. I also like the bit of vegetation to the right of the hare. Good head angle also. It looks cold. The snow on the hare is a nice plus. Well done.
    Andrew

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Simon you have really excelled with this ,Hare itself looks lovely with real nice texture to the fur and nice and sharp on the face.Conditions are there for all to see,one of the best Hares I have seen.

Keith.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Simon, a little big in frame for me, adding some space all around would give the subject room, although you may have it? If you can, try to remember to add it in if the frame is cropped (especially if it's a significant amount) or not, as it does help. Techs look good and I like the head angle. To me the centre body coat looks fine and sharp, but the eye doesn't have the same amount/degree of detail, where was the focus point as it should be bang on the eye, that is the key element to me. Like the inclusion of the vegetation poking out of the snow, but I would loose the two highlights.

Was this with Andy H again?

TFS
    Steve

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the comments. Steve - this is pretty much the full frame, I have some others from further away though. Focus point is on the eye - looks OK at 100%. Good suggestion on the highlights. And yes, this was with Andy.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

this is pretty much the full frame
    If you have time then perhaps make a virtual copy and extend the overall BKG, easy to do with the choice of backdrop.

I have some others from further away though
    Be interesting to see those, although I will be in Canada in a day or so's time so won't be viewing properly, only on a laptop.

Focus point is on the eye - looks OK at 100%.
    OK, just thought there would be more finer detail if it's right on the eye, although sharpness does begin to tail off on the FP's further away from the centre.

If the location was off the A9 then I would have thought you would be shooting from a car, yomping up a hillside with tripod is not great, so good you had a location where you could steady yourself in the cold with a tripod. I think they look better in their Winter coats compare to the brown.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Simon - This is a simple but effective portrait that portrays the cold well. Techs look good and the dof and HA help to give a 3D feel to it. Yes, on the hls and maybe a sliver more room above and below but not a deal breaker for me.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

HI Simon -- A nice portrait ! At the first look i noticed that the fur on its body looks sharp than the face and eyes . Would have also liked some room at the top , infact all around .

TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Simon after reading the above comments and looking more closely might add a little sharping to the eye but not a lot else.

Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful Simon,I'd love to know this animal.!! I like you framing the tufts of heather (guessing) to the right are lovely as is the blur upfront I also like Keith' suggestion of maybe a bit more sharps to the eye. But nit picking for me it's simple and beautiful.

Lovely image for me to view mate I'm pretty green with envy right now,because I have never seen one and it is our native hare. It was a shame this was all she did ,but for me you got something quite beautiful.

thanks for sharing,the detail sharpness thing ,I see essentially what the group does,I like Keiths suggestion of sharpening the eye maybe because those hairs on the face are so fine it's tricky measuring them against the hairs around the shoulder, which are much coarser,they are tricky to appraise.

lovely Simon just lovely pov is crucial for me

Stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like so much details..I would like a different compsition with more space ..but as portrait it is fine. Well done!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the comments. I have had another go based on suggestions: bit more added to the frame and I sharpened the body of the hare less then added more sharpening just to the head and eye.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Simon,

Love your image and especially repost with added canvas and a tad more sharpening on the eye. Beautifully exposed and composition is great. Nice detail in the fur of the hare.
    I just like the simplicity here, so much. As well as pose from the subject. I took great pleasure viewing, would like to see more from you. Many thanks for sharing

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea