Thread: Eastern Osprey with lunch

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Eastern Osprey with lunch

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi all,
    Captured this Eastern Osprey a while ago. Canon 6D, 100-400 lens at 400mm, f5.6, 1/1600th sec, iso400. Thanks for looking

Threads
    Thank You Posts

How cool that you got this low fly-by with ta mostly intact fish in the talons. I love how the tree-line dips directly below the osprey. The main major issue here is the light angle, it really was not favourable. Almost always best to have the sun as directly behind your back as you can - but I do realize it is not always possible do to obstacles.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Daniel,
    Thanks for the kind words. I agree regarding the light/sun position...but I was happy just to get the shot I did. I note that you're in Ottawa...I have relatives who lived in Ottawa but moved to Kelowna B.C. I'd love to visit Canada one day.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Paul, I like the raised wings of the Osprey and great that you captured him with a good size meal. I agree with Dan regarding the light angle, so not sure if you are able to shoot in this location with either early or late light with favourable angles.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful bird, wonderful fish for prey. I love the way the talons are grasping/holding the fish. The problem of not being on the light angle has been mentioned by others. Thank you for sharing, Paul.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Stu and Joseph for the feedback. In post processing I used the shadow/highlight sliders in Photoshop, and I think perhaps that the effect of this has been detrimental to the photo. However, I live fairly close to the location and will return at a better time of day. Cheers.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Burdett View Post
    Hi Daniel,
    Thanks for the kind words. I agree regarding the light/sun position...but I was happy just to get the shot I did. I note that you're in Ottawa...I have relatives who lived in Ottawa but moved to Kelowna B.C. I'd love to visit Canada one day.
    That's funny, I also have relatives from here that moved to Kelowna...big country, but small world!