Thread: Sleepy Snowy Owl

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sleepy Snowy Owl

Attached Images Attached Images

Taken in Muskegon, Mi. in Dec. Besides dropping my shutter speed and either changing my aperture and/or ISO what would have helped this image? The reason I had the ISO @ 800 was I was fighting lighting conditions and I wanted to keep my SS up.

Canon 7D MkII, Tamron 150-600 G2 @600mm, 1/5000 sec, f/6.3, ISO 800, on a tripod w/gimbal head.

Thanks in advance for advice and critique.

David

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the expression; looks just like me in the morning! It's hard to tell whether this is sunrise or sunset, but in either case, it looks like you were quite a way off the light angle. Obviously it isn't always possible to get the perfect line-up, especially when there's water on the other side of the bird, but if there are no obstacles the next time you find yourself in the same situation, I would try to slowly move right so that the bird is more in line with the direction the sun is coming from. You've also got more than enough shutter speed to justify dropping your ISO to 400. 1/5000 will freeze a bird in flight, so for a static portrait you can afford to lose some of that speed and gain less noise by changing over to ISO 400. I'd also go with a smaller aperture here; there is a lot of the bird in the frame (which is fine) but we lose out on the details on the parts that aren't the head and beak. The easiest thing to change, however, is the rock at bottom right. If you go higher, assuming you weren't already at max height with your tripod, you can get it out of your field of view and get rid of it.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent critique and suggestions by Jake. Better sun angle and positioning yourself so that rock is gone would help the most.