Thread: Pan Cheetah

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Pan Cheetah

Attached Images Attached Images

Taken in Etosha. There were 3 Cheetahs at the sighting however dissapointingly they did not stick around and I did the best I could.

Canon 1D4
    200-400 F4
    ISO 400
    1/2500
    F5.6

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Basil,personally even though the sighting was brief ,I think you did well,there is a lovely feel to the image. I think you catching the look back even though it's only one has made this . I want to know where they are going. Basil i've never been to Africa,don't know the light or colours,but somehow the cheetah feel a bit heavy to me. Buddy I'm learning so much,I can't always back up these feelings with a why but maybe they show more tonality then the bkg. If your ethics allow maybe pull the small, is it acacia, from above the left hand cat. I really like your framing the two trees right and left work for me and add.

Basil lovely to view and ponder these far away places, where it's warm !!

take care TFS

stu

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Basil - Nice to see you posting. I like the eye contact and pose of the second cheetah and the warm light but the image seems dark and underexposed. I'm not sure from your intro if this was a grab shot before they disappeared or if you had time to alter your techs for the shot. If you wanted the fast ss then I would have gone with a higher ISO too. If it were mine I would reduce the reds and oranges which I think are giving it that heavy feeling as well. The pano comp works but I agree with Stu that the shrub coming out of the back is unfortunate. I hope you'll share more of your Etosha images.

TFS,
    Rachel

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Basil, the image is about a stop under exposed, increasing the Exposure and lifting the shadows helps. Upping the yellow and reducing the orange helps and increasing the blue for the sky, but not just one element, you need to toggle in the HSL panel. Like the look back by the RH cheetah, but the vertical tree is an issue. Techs look good in terms off SS/DoF.

When did you last calibrate your monitor? You need to use your Histogram more and shoot ETTR, in doing so you will avoid exposure issues like this and turn on Highlight alert in the camera menu to avoid blown HL's.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

hey Basil
    always nice to see animals on the edge of the vast Etosha pan, and in good light too
    where you there recently?

I agree with the critiques given, could do with a bump in exposure. Did you get any that didn't have thorn trees in the immediate BG?
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you everybody. I will def watch for underexposing like this again. I must say that Etosha and all its whiteness was def challenging. Morkel - No images without the trees. This was one of those sightings that left me really disappointed with the images i came away with
    Last edited by Basil Dardagan; 02-16-2018 at 06:41 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Basil -- A nice scene of the Cheetah's, liked the one looking back to you. Agree with the above reg the exposure and the vertical tree . You could also easily manage the colours as adviced above .

TFS !