Thread: Snowy Owl with prey

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Snowy Owl with prey

Attached Images Attached Images

I have spent a good deal of time watching these beautiful birds but have only seen them with prey twice. I was lucky to capture this one with an early meal a few days ago. I can't tell what it is but I can tell it has feathers. Cropped about 30%, Removed a few darker plants from back ground. Toned down the yellow and blue on the Owl, NR applied to bg and sharpened subject in PS. 1/3200, f6.3, auto ISO 720, 500 f4 E + 1.4III, D850. cc
    - I just got my grip which should give me 9fps on the D850. I really miss the 10fps I had with the D500. The slower native 7fps rate shows up in in flight bursts like this one where I don't get as many wing possibilities as I am used to.
    Attachment 174107
    Last edited by John Whaley; 02-10-2018 at 05:49 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice to see a snowy with some prey. Wish more light was on the bird especially the head. Looks like you are slightly shooting down on the bird.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pretty cool pose prey item and BG (the beach?) I also wish for more light on the head. Nice work with these snowys lately. TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice flight pose and good to have the prey item. Colors look better on this one. Overall the image is too dark and would benefit from upping the brightness. Also there are cloning marks to the right and above the birds head.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the feedback guys. I may have edited the wrong frame in this burst. I have a couple with better light on the Owl. I was standing on a dune early in the cold, shooting him eating this Scoter? on the next dune when he took off and flew towards me low over the grass in between the dunes. Pretty cool to watch him fly by.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sun angle, sun angle, sun angle. With the flight path determined by the wind ...

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.