Thread: Ortolan Bunting

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Ortolan Bunting

Attached Images Attached Images

Taken in Bulgaria at a drinking station in 2014.
    1/1600 at f 7.1
    ISO 640

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Frank:

I like his slightly bedraggled , drying pose, his angle in the frame, and the soft background.

I certainly would keep the three shoots on the left, but might soften the contrast on the darkest of the three, so it isn't quite so jarring.

The greens on my monitor are really saturated.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

3. Thanks Frank Gruber thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Frank,
    I like the pose of the bird and the wet look. Background is nice but I agree with Randy on the green saturation. Inclusion of the three grass strands is a nice touch.
    Allen

5. Thanks Frank Gruber thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I will get my hand on the image to desaturate the green background and and soften/lighten the darkest of the three.
    Thanks for the constructive criticism!

Frank

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice image design here with an interesting pose and perch. Those grasses balance the image perfectly. Your whole image is badly over saturated. I feel like I am saying the same thing on almost every image posted lately that either are too blue, too green, too yellow, too saturated, etc. What monitor do you use. What camera and lens was used? Also are you sure on the ID here. Looks more like some species of turdus thrush.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Isaac,

thanks for the reply!

my monitor: DELL U2410
    Camera: EOS 5D MKIII

I agree on the point that the image is quite oversaturated. Thats why I will post it again when I went over the image from scratch.

Regards,

Frank

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Frank, I look forward to the repost. I love the raised wings but wish that the head were turned just a bit more toward us.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Artie,

when I first saw the image I was delighted. But with a closer look I realized that the head angle is not perfect beside the now removed post in the lower right corner.
    The bird seems not to look straight but more to the left hand site of the viewer.
    I am not quite sure if the bird should always look directly at the viewer because this sometimes seems to me that the bird is aware of my presence.

But with the above image I agree that the head could be turned a little bit more towards the sensor plane which would add to the composition.

Frank