Thread: Ant

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Ant

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi all, This is my first macro post. This ant was photographed using my Canon 7D, MPE-65 macro lens at 5X life size and MT-24EX flash. Feedback welcome...thank you.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome to the Macro Forum, Paul! Interesting action shot - was the ant drinking? Pretty good sharpness within the very limited DOF this lens gives you at 5X. I might wish that you had enough DOF to get the rest of the ant's face sharp (you may be able to do that by backing off your magnification to 4X or 3X and then cropping more in post). Are you using any diffusion on your MT-24EX? Without it the lighting will be rather harsh for these types of shots. Overall, it's a nice first post and I'm looking forward to seeing more of your macro work.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve. Many thanks for the feedback. I actually took this photo some years ago...haven't done much macro recently...more bird photography, but will get back into it again. Yes...I put a couple of drops of honey on our back step to try and get the ant to "keep still"...lol I had only recently got that lens when I took the photo. I agree about the dof, and yes, your suggestion of backing off the magnification is sound. The main issue with the flash is the harsh light...I was using the Stofen Omin bounce diffusers, but they're not the best. Over the years I've researched and read about various diffusers that people have used, including home-made ones. As yet I haven't gone the home-made route.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super cool macro frame here the eyes look sharp. Pretty cool iridescent colors as well. Agree with Steve's comments.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks John...much appreciated.