Thread: Eland Herd

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Eland Herd

Attached Images Attached Images

I posted an image from this sighting back when I first returned but decided to process another and post one at the new, larger size. A herd of Eland seen at Tswalu in August 2016. They didn't stick around for long when the vehicle came to a stop. Here they sized us up just before running off.

Canon 7D2
    100-400 II @ 400mm
    1/500
    f5.6
    ISO 800 (I would probably shoot this at completely different settings today).
    HH from safari vehicle, ff, TK luminosity masks, levels, curves, color adjustments in PSCC.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel, looks pretty good to me. They all look in good focus. Are you thinking about F8 instead? As for the comp, I'm not a fan of cutting off the animals on the left hand side right thru their faces, but not sure if you have more room. Loi

3. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel -- Really liked the habitat here with most of the Elands looking curiously. Tones and details look good here but 50-50 on the comp as the cutting of animals on the LHS is not working for me either. Not sure going wider would have helped here as it seems there was some vegetation in the FG as judging by the oof branch on the rhs.

TFS !

5. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cheez Rachel this is a truly wild image. Everything looks great to me except for the cut animals on the left however I am sure you had no other option. However even to see a wild herd of Eland like this is truly spectacular !

7. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Rachel all you usual excellences,colour detail,I just adore the feet..These herds are incredibly difficult to find an image in,I really struggle it's the cut animals and no break to split the group into a frame,I think you have done as well as one could,point on techs noted, given the circumstances. I also yearn for you to be lower,but this angle deos show all the faces well,being lower might compremise this.

Cracking to view they are so big and those horns so special with that twist TFS

stu

9. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone. I agree that cut animals are not optimal and my previous post from this sighting avoided that but had some scrubby bushes in the llc that I was trying to avoid here.

Thanks again,
    Rachel

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice image Rachel with lovely light and detail, I also like the dust being kicked up by the hooves. Shooting further away I feel would have been better and reduced the angle of looking down, highlighting shooting from a vehicle for me. Nothing you could do with cutting through the herd, but the OOF branch on the RHS is a slight distracting element.

TFS
    Steve