Thread: AM Snowy Owl

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default AM Snowy Owl

Attached Images Attached Images

Taken just after the sunrise it looks like this Snowy Owl had just finished breakfast. Not good for the breakfast but I am glad these Owls seem to be thriving in this unusually far south destination. Eastern shore of Maryland. Basic edits in LR. NR and sharpened subject in PS.
    1/2000, f6.3, auto ISO 900, 500 f4E + 1.4III, D850. cc

Attachment 174014
    Last edited by John Whaley; 02-04-2018 at 10:05 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

John:

I really like the story telling in this image. The trail of feathers is great. Nice sense of the environment. Great early light.

If your style allows, I would consider removing the one plant 'sprouting' from the top of his head. The rest are fine for me.

Nice comp as well.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yep - Should have caught that. Thank you.

Name:  6741 - bpne.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  512.2 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

John:

Even better!

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the gruesome and dark feeling that this photo has. Just the scattered remains of the bird are excellent. You have great light here and a classic Snowy in the dunes shot with beautiful early morning light. I prefer the repost with the grasses behind the bird removed. Snowy Owls are very difficult to get to open their eyes when the sun is out. When the eyes are both wide open the photo has much more impact. Even more so of course if the owl is looking at you or mostly at you. I think you need to tone down the yellows a little on the birds and tone down the highlights on the face. Also the shadow at the bottom of the image looks too blue. The background would benefit from some noise reduction.

6. Thanks John Whaley thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Issac - Thank you for the detailed feedback as always. It is much appreciated. I edited the images using your suggestions although I did not remove all the yellow as she was bathed in direct sunrise light. Hopefully improved.

Name:  850_6741NIpss-2.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  575.4 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Shadow area looks better for sure. The birds face is improved but I don't think perfect. These situations are really difficult. I often shoot in this light and I pay special attention to how the birds look in the field as compared to how they look on the computer screen. 100% of the time, the image on the computer screen is over saturated and too yellow. The same goes for low light situations where the images are always too blue. Both of these things need to be dealt with in post. In short what I am saying is that birds do not get as saturated as we think that they do in this light and as saturated as the camera thinks they do. I downloaded your pic but the file was huge and almost 1000mb. Not sure why. I messed with it but had to resize it just to get the size down below 600. Also had to do it at 90% so not sure that it will look as good as it looks at 100%. Very strange and not sure why that happened.

I selected the bird and reduced the blues, reduced the yellows and dodged the shadowed areas. Then I took away some of the black in the whites in selective color. Then I added some extra warmth to the background, controlled highlights a little and applied NR to the background. Probably did a little more than it needed but again I was trying to lower the file size. Then because I had to downsize the photo I gave the bird a little extra sharpening. Usual disclaimer that this is all better done on the full size high res file.

9. Thanks John Whaley thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks great. I appreciate your taking the time to do the edit and for the explanation.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You need help with any of the things that I did. The changes were subtle but significant. Lifting the shadows, reducing the yellows, enhancing the whites. a bit more sharpening and the noise reduction to the background. All relatively minor but together I think they make a big impact. The white owl stands out better against a smooth background. And you don't lose the feeling of the early morning light.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the story that is told with this image.
    Your repost is very very good,
    Gail