Thread: Snipe

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Snipe

Attached Images Attached Images

This snipe provided some distraction whilst waiting (unsuccessfully) for a Bittern to emerge from the reeds at the London Wetland Centre. The background is very busy and the bird is obscured quite a bit but I liked the head being clear and seeing the full length of the bill. This was taken from a hide using a beanbag to support.

7D mark ii & Sigma 500 f4 + 2x converter @ f/8, 1/1000 sec, ISO 2000

One thing I struggle with is NR without totally losing the details. With a plain background I would normally apply quite strong NR on a duplicate layer and mask out the subject but with this image it looked bad so have left without. Any tips in this area great fully received.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Simon:

It is a very good natural history image, shows the snipes typical behavior, hiding in the grasses and reeds. A bit busy from a purely aesthetic standpoint.

I did a quick selection of the bird, created a mask, which I used after applying Define 2 NR, default settings. I think it is pretty effective without being to heavy handed.

Look forward to other thoughts/processes.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this. Show how well the snipe can hide in the grasses.