Thread: Move from Nikon D810 to Nikon D850?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Question Move from Nikon D810 to Nikon D850?

Might as well get this show off on a go with gear talk. So I had a Nikon D700 and upgraded to the Nikon D810. Which is a really awesome camera. However when the D850 came out I started reading some of specs, but held off because I wanted to get some feedback from people who are actually using the camera. I found one review from someone who has used the camera for 60 days: https://www.photographytalk.com/phot...u-want-to-miss then there is a good review that compares it to the Sony a7 III https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MaFBWGwcF8 which I'll get into that later (I'm on the fence with the Sony a7r III as option).

I've been shooting landscapes and jumping more into nature and wildlife. I'd like to hear from some of you, who have perhaps made the move from a Nikon D800 or D810. Did you find what you wanted out of the D850?

Is it worth the 100% rating that DXO gave it? Did you find it lacking in any areas?

Please don't hold back, let get the full pro's and con's that you experienced from owning this camera.

Thank you!

Alexander

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

And if you have any experience with the Sony A7r III and still went with the D850, please point out that too. As mentioned that camera I've been considering too. Thanks!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Anyone on this question? Thank you!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Alex, this is a bird photography forum so you won't find much info. on mirrorless here as it is not great for this subject.

I never had a D810 but I recently switched from Canon to Nikon. The Nikon D850 is a jack of all trades and one of the best overall cameras out there. The older Nikon bodies used the Multicam 3500FX AF module, tech from 2009 and obsolete for such subjects as birds in flight. With the new bodies they introduced a killer AF system CAM20K. So on that ground alone my choice would be D850 if you like to shoot any kind of action. The IQ from D850 is very good in all conditions but very low light/high ISO. It also offers an enormous number of pixels for cropping.

Good luck
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Arash,

Alexander asked a couple of questions.You answered one i.e.. the 850 is superb. Agreed.
    Then he asked about the sony A7rIII, and in a phrase you said that mirrorless cameras are no good for bird photography.
    I have been trying the Sony A9 owned by a friend of mine for two months together with the 100/400 GM lens plus the 1.4 teleconverter. So an 'effective' 560mm. The auto focus is amazing at 20 frames to the second. Can you please explain to a layman why this combo is no good for bird photography.
    And Sonys A7rIII is 42 megapixels,[10 frames to the second ] which is the camera Alex asked you about This camera uses the same systems as the A9. So it almost matches the Nikon 850in megapixels and beats it in frames per sec.just .
    And every detail from dxomark and others seem to indicate that this camera,the a9, is up to the overall rating of the 850.[100 points each]. The 100/400 lens [2lbs+] is as sharp or sharper than any other zoom.[Sharpness 36measured on the A7rII.]
    Until today they haven't rated the Nikon 200/500 which you are now using. .Others have and its very good. But it weighs 5 lbs.
    So for the myriad of geriatrics out there [me included]who would rather lift 2lbs than 5 all day , can you explain what it is about these new Sonys that can't cut the mustard,.If it is image quality then perhaps you could explain in simple terms what is or are the' proven' deficiencies.
    Because after 2 months of working the auto focus with birds in flight with every single background possible I promisee you that is not going to be the problem.It is brilliant.
    A detailed and clear answer would be very much appreciated.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Ian, IMO mirrorless including Sony in current state are a joke for the type of images I am interested in taking. For a number of reasons

A) The lenses are short and and dog slow, a 100-400 zoom lens just doesn't cut the mustard whenever they have a 600mm f/4 that can stack up to Nikon and Canon then we can talk... If I had to shoot with a zoom and a TC I'd honestly give up bird photography and do something more productive with my time. Any system that doesn't have an array of super telephoto lenses is not a serious propisition IMO.
    B) The AF is joke, of course it can get a seagull butt shot, great egret flying away, bird against sky and all kinds of half-baked soft images but so does the iPhone in my hands, when I talk about BIF I talk about images like the ones below and I want them to be tack sharp at 100%. The sensor based AF uses two adjacent pixels for phase detection, but the pixels are very close (several microns) compared to the split images projected on the AF sensor of a DSLR that are tens of millimeters away, as a result the AF is much more sensitive in the extreme defocus case such as when shooting with a super telephoto lens.
    C) EVF is a joke for low light action, it becomes slow, grainy and lacks DR. Before it can show what happened, the action is over. It doesn't matter if the camera is 1000 fps, if you can't see what's going on you can't shoot it.
    D) mirrorless are built like a toy compared to my 1DXII and D5, tiny buttons and poor battery life makes it difficult if not impossible to use in places like Alaska at sub 0 temperature or in rain or snow.
    E) Mirrorless don't hold their value well, because they are gizmos and toys rather than a pro tool they depreciate significantly. I recently sold my entries Canon system for ~84% of what I bought it for, my big lenses had 5+ years of heavy usage. The latest and greatest Sony cameras are worth less than 50% of new on Fred Miranda a few days after they are bought, just go and check and then try to sell one, not that many people want them.... I had an entire Fuji mirrorless system a couple years ago, including the highly praised X-T series it was all garbage IMO and I lost 80% of my money when I sold that darned camera and lenses and got rid of them.

I don't know of any serious flight shooter who uses a mirrorless camera, of course for a causal shooter it might suffice.

If you have examples like these taken with a mirrorless camera I'd be interested to look and learn if significant improvements have been made (but only if they are tack sharp at 100%).

cheers

Name:  _H__1853.jpg
Views: 991
Size:  393.8 KB

Name:  _H__6674-Recovered.jpg
Views: 991
Size:  481.3 KB

Name:  _H__5571-copy.jpg
Views: 994
Size:  227.6 KB

Name:  _AH_0546 copy.jpg
Views: 1000
Size:  565.9 KB

Name:  _H__9110 copy.jpg
Views: 969
Size:  511.0 KB
    Last edited by arash_hazeghi; 02-20-2018 at 04:26 AM.
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Arash. Just found this thread and read your comments with interest. Do you still feel the same way now, in light of the 600mm lens from Sony in tandem with the A9? (as well as Artie's love of the A9 and 600mm lens). I'm still on the fence with Sony. Going to keep my Canon gear until I'm 100% sure (if that's even possible) of what to upgrade to. I still think the D500 and 500PF may be the way to go, but I want the best AF I can get for BIF. Thoughts?