Thread: Cabbage White

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Cabbage White

Attached Images Attached Images

I captured this image at Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County, Florida. I identified this butterfly as a Cabbage White but am open to be corrected if not so. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
    Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED image captured at 400mm
    1/2000 F/5.6 Matrix Metering EV -1/3 ISO 900 AWB
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic CC and Photoshop CC 201
    Cropped for composition and presentation
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful light, very good overall sharpness, good detail in the whites, and your subject stands out well against the darker background! Very nicely done!

3. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow that's a beauty love the lighting, we have similar butterflies here often referred to as cabbage white but when I look them up on a formal butterfly recognition site (I refer to UK now) I find that cabbage white is an erroneous name. It has just occurred to me this may be because you have the cabbage white over there! Either way we have a large white and a small white, a black veined white, a green veined white (AKA small white) and a wood white, yours doesn't look like any of them, ours have larger black spots or areas, not just dots.
    I like the image as presented it really looks good, the subject would make me tempted however to play in the raw converter to produce different versions. If or before you do I would make a note of the optimised raw settings you had for this image so you could always go back to them.
    You may want to try versions with differing amounts of clarity selectively applied also some light use of the Dehaze brush could prove useful - let me know if you do I would be curious to see the results... but as I said I think this image is excellent.

5. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Amazing Shot. I love the light. I won't change a thing.

Thanks for sharing.