Thread: Wild caracal.........36 years in the making.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Wild caracal.........36 years in the making.

Attached Images Attached Images

Achieving any sort of quality image of a Caracal (apart from long distance blurry streaks ) has always been very high on my list and one reason why I chose to visit Namiri Plains, an area up until 3.5 years ago soley devoted to cheetah research and off limits to the public.

If you are prepared to put in the hours there is a "possibility" to sight this highly skittish cat here.

So on my first afternoon and before I had unpacked, we heard via a transfer guide who witnessed a "small yellow cat" (even he wasn't sure exactly what it was ) single handedly bringing down an adult Thompsons Gazelle , WOW!!

Dropping everything, I raced off to the location some 20 mins away, fortunately positioned close to the road, we were fortunate that she was still on the kill and due to her protective nature, she wasn't going to relinquish her prize for anyone!

We garnered her confidence with a polepole approach and being on an incline switched off the engine and gradually closed the distance by ever so slowly rolling our vehicle closer, by the end of the shoot we were within 10 feet of her, just amazing how trusting she was of us, I'd never seen anything like it and my guide Partena's best ever

Caracal encounter by a country mile.

To see a Caracal is fantastic enough, but one that was on a kill and such a spectacular prize at that was pure freakish luck and timing. As told to us, she was hiding in a thicket and pounced on the Thommie that never knew what hit it, such an accomplished and skilled feat! As dusk grew closer she left the kill, we then approached and

confirmed that it was indeed hers by the claw marks on it's back and bite marks around her throat, backing away allowed a solo Hyena in to snatch the prize and could see that the gazelle was pregnant evidenced by a advanced fetus. What an afternoon, and to think that this was just the first of 4 Caracal sightings during my 2 weeks here.

Approaching 2.00pm, light was far from optimal, and with the kill tucked away in heavy grass/cover it was challenging to get a clear view. I do like her beautiful and almost turquoise eyes look of contempt here.

Bean bag, front pax seat, (I do have the full length body shot and happy to post on request, but cropped in for added drama on those eyes), curves, levels, TK adj's and selective smart sharpen. ACR & PSCC '18

Nikon D850
    Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8E FL VR + 1.4tc
    1/1250s
    f/7
    ISO640@ 240mm.

1400px wide

Cheers
    Marc
    Last edited by Marc Mol; 01-28-2018 at 05:08 PM. Reason: spelling error

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Marc - your image and story are inspiring and spectacular. I love that you finally got the sighting and the shots !! It is a beautiful image and as you say the colour of those eyes and expression on the cats face takes it to another level. I have read that pound for pound it is Caracels and not leopards that are the most poweful african hunters and your experiance seems to support this !! Wow !! And really happy for you !!! I know that special feeling when years of patience finally pays off !!

3. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lucky you, Marc - but of course a lot of this was planning with a pinch of good luck thrown in. So happy you got this sighting and image of a cat I'd never heard of until now. That stare is lethal and the tongue on the nose really adds. I think you've done a great job in the difficult lighting too as well as achieving a pretty good view in spite of the situation. Really top stuff! I can't wait to see more from your trip.

5. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Marc - Congrats on a fantastic sighting! Mine have only been of the fleeting variety (2x) so a bit jealous. Both your luck and patience paid off. Lovely eye contact and the tongue adds a bit. I'm hoping you also got some head shots and will share those too.

TFS,
    Rachel

7. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Marc -- I loved the stare and those eyes are mesmersing. Appreciate your hard work and dedication , a well deserved sighting . I liked the details here in your subject and thanks for the story behind , very interesting indeed. TFS !

9. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Congrats Marc. What a great sighting and the kill am sure is so special. Happy for you. I would love to see the size comparison of the predator & prey if you have some shots of that. Lovely eyes, that tongue is a bonus and the sharp look to cam is cool.

11. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A great reward, and reading your intro, its clear how much this sighting means to you. As already mentioned the stare and the tongue add to the shot no end - congratulations on eventually getting this

Mike

13. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sounds like it was a blast. Love those eyes. The tongue is nice as well. Those tufts on the ears are very neat. This caracal does not looked impressed at all.

15. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Congrats Marc on this milestone.
    Well done getting the most out of the situation.
    What a ripper mate!
    I am not at all jealous. :D

17. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Utterly thrilled for you Marc,I've long loved this cat,i've known of them since childhood unreal to think it could take an adult tommy,i'm stunned. I can't wait to see more from your trip. Mate those eyes,they set this image alight , the turquoise is beautiful yet there's that big cat "go right through one,gives one shivvers " quality that are really beguiling to stare into.

Wonderful Marc ,as above can't wait to see more

TFS

stu

19. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post