Thread: European brown bear

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default European brown bear

Attached Images Attached Images

Monopod from a hide in Finland, Canon 1DX Canon Auto ISO 6400 (+0.3) 1/800 sec f5.6 Canon 500mm f4 L IS II & 1.4TC III
    ACR +PSCC 2018

Hope this isn't too tedious but here is a rework of an image I posted in 2017 - I was clearly having some problems processing them!
    I offer my thanks to Steve who has reviewed a very similar version, I hope this is a little nearer the mark.
    (The band of fur on the shoulder is compressed so it does appear as an almost solid curve it was not overexposed).

Threads
    Thank You Posts

nice framing with the bear coming out of the woods, and he is nice and clear of all the distractions in the important parts of the frame. The light looks like it was dim and flat, so I'm guessing this is an accurate representation of the scene, maybe it could take a little mid - tone contrast boost?

Mike

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I offer my thanks to Steve who has reviewed a very similar version, I hope this is a little nearer the mark.
    Jon you are more than welcome.

If I was a Bear, I would fancy the pants off this one, absolutely gorgeous, the fur is outstanding and in prime condition too. Love the way the face is looking to camera but the front legs look almost crossed. Very good detail in this one Jon at ISO6400 and the environment looks very natural. My only wish is the three tree trunks in the BKG were not there, maybe darkening them????

Jon, if I had realise the amount of bears being posted and the invite I had for this year I might have changed my plans, but... they will always keep, I will see some at some point for sure, but Bears are great.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, great eye contact here, and love the detail on the face. Well placed in the frame and mostly in the open too. Looks like he is walking on a path.

No bears in SA I'm afraid.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon - I think this is one of the best you've posted from the hide. The raised head and eye contact is great. The comp works well. Interesting to see the lighter color and Steve's right, the bear has a gorgeous full coat of fur. I think that area you refer to is the lighter, coarser guard hairs that give the grizzly its name. My understanding is they are most dense over the shoulders, neck and along the back. You see an area like that in several of my images from Alaska too.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon ,gorgeous,simply so the colour palette is deeply appealing to me.!! So is an animal in it's prime Jon ,I love the way Steve has picked up on that ,I don't know bears,but I know "shining " in an animal. Stunning condition the fella is in!! Tedious no ,it's a joy buddy. It's lovely hearing Rachel talk as well about what is very similar stateside to EU.

I'd want to change little .I know tree trunk and head,but really that stare the front end a bear that is utterly stunning in condition, everything works for me ,is it male or female Jon ,do you know?.sorry I'm curious

I sort of want to see the previous incarnate now,it's interesting how one progresses in post. There are so many tools,it's easy to loose one's original vision.

No bears here either Stu but there should be !!

lovely Jon a real treat,as I say seeing the two sets of brown bears either side of the Atlantic,captured by such thoughtful image makers is a really special
    cheers for sharing !!

stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cool bear here. Like the direct eye contact and the environmental setting. Looks good for the low light and high ISO.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, fantastic Bear with some lovely light colours fur, great eye contact, and good detail for the high ISO. Nicely processed too. TFS.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks very much everyone, it took some time but I think this was half decent! The biggest problem was getting the right colour temperature, in fact Auto wasn't a million miles out then just making minor changes to tint hue etc, then a few selective adjustments. it's odd but the trees do jar a bit in the background usually it would occur to me to tone them down but not in this instance.
    Stu this was mummy bear, daddy bear was darker and he was a big boy..... but nowhere near as big as those big old grizzlies in North America can be, I think the Kodiak grizzlies are just about the biggest, often bigger than many polar bears.

10. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The biggest problem was getting the right colour temperature, in fact Auto wasn't a million miles out
    It can work as you say - quite well Jon, however I think it just depends on 'how far' you wish to take it, but it is only a 'rough guide' and not too precise at time and it may vary subject to the image, but handy perhaps as a starting point?

it's odd but the trees do jar a bit in the background usually it would occur to me to tone them down but not in this instance.
    Can I ask why Jon?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    It can work as you say - quite well Jon, however I think it just depends on 'how far' you wish to take it, but it is only a 'rough guide' and not too precise at time and it may vary subject to the image, but handy perhaps as a starting point?

Can I ask why Jon?
    Yes I was preoccupied (remember phone call)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon, absolutely no problem, it was just curiosity.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is very nice, Jon. I like the muted colours. The pose of the bear and the unobstructed view of the front half are excellent (and the branches in front of the bear's back half don't detract IMHO). I don't think I saw this one in 2017 so may have been before I became active on BPN. Whatever processing you did to achieve this, it worked a treat. Hope that hide is made of sturdy material as I don't think I'd want to attract too much attention from these bears.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jonathan - A lovely image and beautiful looking subject ! Loved the eye contact and the details. Inclusion of environment gives a lovely feel to it .

TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love bears and they are high on my wish list of animals to capture.
    I like how you framed this image. Love the eye contact and don't mind the vegetation surrounding him.
    TFS !!!