Thread: Wild Sow and Piglets

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Wild Sow and Piglets

Attached Images Attached Images

I captured this image yesterday morning at Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County, Florida. I used the best angle I could, did not want to get on the ground being not sure how mom would act. I lived 74 years without being run over by a pig, don't need it now... not moving as fast as my younger days. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
    Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED image captured at 135mm
    1/2000 F/8 Matrix Metering EV 0 ISO 720 AWB
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic CC and Photoshop CC 2018
    Cropped slightly for composition and presentation
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the narrative Jo! You sound like a pretty switched on sort of guy!
    I don't think the image is overexposed as such but I think pulling down some of the highlights would help. I agree with your implication that the viewpoint would have been better if lower but point taken. In addition maybe tone down the immediate foreground a little.

3. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe - Good to see something different and those piglets are adorable. I wish more were facing the camera and I bet you do too. The light looks harsh. Some of the hls are hot and some of the blacks choked. It would be worth going back to the raw and see if you can deal with both. There also seems to be a lot of blue in the blacks. I can understand wanting to give mom her room.

TFS,
    Rachel

5. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Light is quite harsh here Joe but well handled in this shot. I agree with Jon that it still might be worth working on some aspects of it though. Detail is excellent and colour looks quite natural. Good cute factor with those piglets too but a hard shot to compose with multiple subjects in the frame - I think you've chosen well in this instance (and avoid being attacked too). Thanks for sharing.

7. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I lived 74 years without being run over by a pig, don't need it now... not moving as fast as my younger days.
    A wise move Joe, would be a tragedy not to see any more images from you, although devoting your body to obtaining the capture is always commendable .

I like the fact the line of piglets lead you to Mum, just wished for a few more snouts visible. Looks well expose to me and you had a good SS & DoF. Not sure where you FP was and I'm a bit confused in elements that are sharp and some that are not, but all on/within the same plane of focus, but that might be due to you applying a NR mask??? Love the little piglet looking to Mum.

TFS
    Steve

9. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'd iimagine they are a real problem Joe !! Lovely image I'm struck by the colours of the kids Joe your narative is wonderful ,thank you The best policy is to have someone older and slower in front of you Works for me anyway. Buddy love the interaction with the fella up front it just makes this image ,it's a lovely moment caught

stu

11. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post