Thread: Red Fox

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red Fox

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks ..a last one before i move back to the seals ....meaning i will start posting again some seal images .
    This is one of the habituated foxes in the Amsterdamse Waterleidingduinen area close to Zandvoort in the netherlands .
    These guys are very relaxed with human presence ...sometiems to relaxed for my taste. Guaranteed fox sightings and shootings ....in the afternoon and evening !

Canon EOS 1Dx
    EF 70 - 200 IS L at 200 mm
    HH

F 8 ; Iso 3200 ; 1/1250 sec ; with hindsight F 11 might have worked a wee bit better for a tiny bit more DOF

Processed with C1 and PSCC 2018 ; slight cropping from all sides

Thanks for watching and commenting to my previous posting

Cheers Andreas

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas, a lovely departure from current postings and I love the pose, a real classic of this subject.

I'm not a lover of the OOF leaves in the FG or the vertical blade of grass, moving a bit more to the right may have helped, the grass just needs a gardeners touch. Techs aside I'm a little hesitant on the PP, or the focus. At full extent the kit will nail this and you have seen the Sea Otter at 25k, but to me there seems that there are a few things that 'jar', especially based on your previous 'highish' ISO postings/clarity. Lets see what others say, but will try to compile my thoughts today.

TFS
    Steve

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks good to me (and it fits on my screen!), the only slight reservation I have is the leaf stalk to the right of the tail. There is a long strand under the fox but that is relatively minor to me.
    Ideally his brush (English for tail) would be in focus, I think that would have made a difference. Love the colours, one healthy looking little fox!! I would be a bit more than happy if this was mine.
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 01-25-2018 at 10:37 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

with hindsight F 11 might have worked a wee bit better for a tiny bit more DOF
    I'm not sure Andreas, I feel the focus and DoF is about right, if we include the tail in focus would it then loose being drawn to the face, WDYT? Also, I just took another look and dropping the Contrast like Glenn's image the sharpening (high/low frequency) looks better.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve and Jon for your comments , much appreciated .
    I do agree for perfection ...some stuff could go , but left it in. I might have been too quick yesterday with the edits , was made more or less on the fly . So you Steve might be right about your technical reservations ........ will take another look if i find the time .
    Thanks for the offline demo .... not sure where the coarseness is coming from , as i did sharpen as always the same amount to the subject . So nothing changed to my normal habit ....

Thanks again Andreas

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas, beautiful fox... lovely image. I leave Steve and others to comment on the techs. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I suspect I am misinterpreting Andreas but surely the sharpening would vary according to image size?? I note various sizes of images recently. Maybe this image was sharpened differently to others, i.e. you do indeed vary sharpening with every image??

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas - Beautiful fox and I really like the deep colors but do think it has a little more contrast than you usually do. On the coarseness sharpening issue - I am finding that viewing images posted at the larger sizes in the web browser makes some of them look a bit crunchy/oversharpened but downloading and viewing at 100% they look fine.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hard to find fault with your work Andreas. This one is really nice to my eye. I can see the dilemma with DOF on this. One strategy is to get just the head in focus and draw attention there. The other to get it all in. All the same, I think this works quite well as presented. My only real reservation is the crop. If mine, I'd actually have a bit more room on the left. For me, and perhaps I'm a bit 'odd', I find frames where movement by the subject will cause 'collision' with the edge of the frame. This is the case here where the fox will bang into the left edge when it turns its head. But probably just a strange quirk of mine so ignore. My eye is also drawn to the bug next to the fox's ear. Not sure if that is a good thing as it draws me away from the direction the fox is looking.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I suspect I am misinterpreting Andreas but surely the sharpening would vary according to image size??
    Shouldn't do Jon.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Indeed ...should not vary

Threads
    Thank You Posts

No nits from me with this one Andreas, a lovely relaxed pose and well presented.

I see where some of the other comments are coming from and its, as ever, all down to personal preferences, but I quite like some if the lower grasses as they dont interfere with any important parts of the image. I do agree that the little bug near the ear is a distraction I may have cloned out

Great low POV as ever

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas, excellent low perspective, and I like the alert look back pose with the raised ears. I would like to see any fox in the wild to photograph, so Im a little jealous here.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

HI Andreas -- A fantastic frame indeed ! loved the framing and the IQ . High standards you maintain.

Contrast is a bit high for my liking and might be resulting in that coarseness , but still a very nice image.

TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

It is a beautiful image of the fox in its habitat.

That's what I see. For me, the surroundings are as they are. Probably not a lot you could have done, except maybe alter the shooting angle.
    TFS.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice pose and eyes.