Thread: Taughannock

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Taughannock

Attached Images Attached Images

Lower part of Taughannock in winter. Image adjustments in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Camera on sticks triggered with a remote.

Canon 5D MarkIII
    Canon 24-105L f4 IS USM
    55mm
    ISO 50
    f/22
    0.5sec
    Last edited by John Mack; 01-23-2018 at 08:41 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi John

Nice composition. Image gives a good feel of winter cold like nothing I have ever experienced in Australia. I think the image could be improved a little however by reducing the brightness of the snow in the lower RH part of the image below the falls. Its just a bit tough on the eyes to look at and the detail in the snow for me is easier to see when the brightness is dialed down a little. Andrew is much more use to photographing in theses conditions and I am sure he can offer very good advice also. I have adjusted the repost to give an indication of what I was thinking, working from the RAW will give a better result however.

Don

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John...I love winter waterfalls. I often find that the snow and ice simplifies the surrounding elements making the scenes more pleasing to the eye. Don took care of my main point by bring out more detail in the snow. I do wish you were a bit wider with the composition so that there was a little more room in front of the falls, making the main cascade a little less centered, but I am assuming you probably have several other compositions, which I look forward to seeing soon. Not sure if the ice was thick enough, but I see good opportunities from the ice in front of the falls too. I usually push my luck a little too far and break through the ice and get a soaker :)