Thread: Alpine Marmot

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Alpine Marmot

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks ....just throwing in something else
    Have not posted one of my marmots for a short while , so here you go .
    Image taken one morning in Filzmoos , light already being somewhat harsh because the marmots only appeared when the sun lit up their area after coming over the mountains . So that location will be never good for soft or golden light , so you either have deal with harsh of flat light when overcast or rainy.
    Nevertheless great fun to be there , before the mass of people arrive or when they left . Funny enough the most activity is when it is full of people ....in the other hand when staying there early or late the marmots show their natural behavior . What they do not do , when it is if full of humans . When staying alone with them , you even have to be careful not to move to fast ....then they whistle and disappear into their burrow system .
    Hope you like this one .Wished the white rock in the BG was not there....

Canon EOS 1Dx II
    EF 500 IS L II
    Tripod

F 9 ; Iso 3200 ; 1/2000 sec ; all the time i was playing with the F stop but kept the SS fast as i was constantly changing from HH to tripod wherever was an option to take some images.

Processed with C1 and PSCC 2018 ; slight crop for comp

Thanks for watching and commenting to my previous posting

Cheers Andreas

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas - I quite like this as a portrait. They behave like other rodents, coming out when it warms up a bit. You handled the harsher light well. Fabulous detail. I agree with you about the white rock but doesn't look there was anything you could do to avoid it.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really nice work Andreas, no issues at all with the lighting or the details. I wish the rock wasn't there

Mike

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with above comments Andreas, really nice work again from you and techs are great.

The rock...well... your marmots are like our Dassies here, always hanging around rocky outcrops. Nothing you could do about it I guess.

Really cute character, looks large as life on my screen. Love the visible teeth and grin, as well as richness of that fur/coat. Nice POV too.

Thank you for sharing, and also for those wonderful images shared in Story Sequences Forum - any news, Boetie?

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Rachel , Mike and Gabriela for your kind comments , much appreciated .

Gabriela .....you will be one of the first persons , who will be informed about their status .Be patient ... i have to be , too !!!!
    Can´t wait ..as this would be sensational good , just surprised that no other photogs were hanging out at them when i was there . I had them all alone by myself , even i was not there the whole day , just on and off during the day . Will see and wait ....

Cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Only that OOF rock, but otherwise a very nicely executed shot.
    Great POV and eye contact. :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

All issues with this one covered Andreas. I had wondered where your marmots had gone so good to see another image here. The light has been well handled, usual high standard for the rest of this: lighting, tone, detail. Up to your usual high standard and no suggestions from me.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas, I like the fact the perspective illustrates how 'long' these guys are, but the white rock in the BKG is the killer for me. I think the DoF is perhaps a tad much based on the kit, but I might review that if I was there looking at the distance between you and the subject.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Akos , Glenn and Steve , much appreciate your comments .

Akos & Steve ... i know the rock is not ideal , but not a killer for me , will not win a prize with this for sure

Thanks Andreas
    Last edited by Andreas Liedmann; 01-24-2018 at 03:55 PM.