Thread: Double-crested Cormorant - Hop, Skip and a Jump

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Double-crested Cormorant - Hop, Skip and a Jump

Attached Images Attached Images

Cormorant getting up to speed at a favorite watering hole.
    Details: D850+ Sigma 500/4+ 1.4 TC, 1/3200, 6.3, HH, Fairly large crop with ISO at 2000, C1P (raw), PS CCC 2018 adjustments, Neat Image NR and SS on output. Thanks for looking.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cool image with lots of great action Jay! Looks like the 850 locked on well as the head in nice and sharp. I notice some noise in the underwings but otherwise a real nice capture. Well done
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Timing colours great, I get the impression the image had been cropped too much for an image that size.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agree with Jonathan's assessment. Noise becomes far more evident when a heavy crop is presented.

Is that the new Sigma 500/4 DG OS HSM Sport? What do you think of it overall? I am currently testing the lens here in Sydney at their request. So far it has been very, very impressive with its performance.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ákos Lumnitzer View Post
    Agree with Jonathan's assessment. Noise becomes far more evident when a heavy crop is presented.

Is that the new Sigma 500/4 DG OS HSM Sport? What do you think of it overall? I am currently testing the lens here in Sydney at their request. So far it has been very, very impressive with its performance.
    Haven't shot with the Nikon 500 FL so can't compare (know the FL is lighter by about .75 lb) - but I am quite happy with it. For it's price (mine used for 4800 USD) can't complain at all. Fairly Handhold-able and nice IQ. Could have cropped less and had less noise - but - liked the action and wanted a "closer look"... just have to pay the price for up close, right. :) :(

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ákos Lumnitzer View Post

Haven't shot with the Nikon 500 FL so can't compare (know the FL is lighter by about .75 lb) - but I am quite happy with it. For it's price (mine used for 4800 USD) can't complain at all. Fairly Handhold-able and nice IQ. Could have cropped less and had less noise - but - liked the action and wanted a "closer look"... just have to pay the price for up close, right. :) :(
    Last edited by Jay Ing; 01-23-2018 at 09:20 PM. Reason: mistaken post

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great Action you captured here. Well done to capture so much splash. Noise under the wings noted.
    Robert Kimbrell