Thread: Unusual teenage hare Lepus europeaus UK

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Icon1 Unusual teenage hare Lepus europeaus UK

Attached Images Attached Images

I'd spent probably about an hour with "Taz" pictured and an unknown kidlet,whom I believe was taking security from the older animal and consequently more tolerant of me . I have tall rape stems to my left which is what Taz moved into for this frame. Frankly I tracked the hares eye and made a couple of images as much as anything because I felt she was leaving me. So I claim no artistic intention really, this somewhat unusual frame being the result. I know I saw something at the time ,though but didn't conceive this.

Processed in DPP 4 converted to tiff 16bit moved to pscc. maskers layers curves levels dodge and burn and a bit of USM, Colours WB fine detail in DPP hopefully colour profile is correct and correct data embedded.

Mike thank you Mike showed me some base steps a few days back they have been a real asset

It is hard at times here. The UK hare population has receeded by around 80% part of the problem is hunting with dogs. I'm very very secretive about my hares because of this,I have actually shared them with no one ,not one soul bar me good lady.

Before christmas we had snow,sadly my new lens was not in my hands like canon promised ,so I had nothing to make images with.So that yearned for shoot with my hares in the snow didn't happen. Sadly the snow favoured the lurchers and the poachers came and carnage followed. The hares are just starting to court boxing already,so the dogs got into what I can only think of was a breeding group,Nine hares dead and left in a field. They didn't even take them away to eat.

Whist much focus must be given to the flagship species that draw folks into conservation and caring for their planet, we are loosing so much, besides, mindless slaughter like this is very hard for me to take. I know this species isn't native,but it's been here so long now it's part of our folklore,it's so sad that there is this wanton disregard for life and food

It's almost unbelieveable that all but gangs of guys in four wheeled wagons drive across our countryside causing carnage,police of little interest. There was no sport here just a massacre The problems associated with poaching are rife here. we also have young boar being orphened to cross bows and road traffic accidents,because folks are feeding them by the road,it's all slightly insane !!

Anyway my humble apologies for my absense of late thanks for all the help and thoughts with my previous images .

Canon 1Div NOT CROPPED 300F2.8 1.4 extiii 1/1000 f6.3 iso 4000

take care all

stu

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it, rather different to most hare shots. The pose of the hare is captivating and the stalks add intrigue, the dark area at the top works well . I am not so sure about the colours but they may be true due to time of day. The hare seems just a little yellow/orange to me. Noise looks minimal.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Stu, love the warmth to this one and the cut straws acting as a kind of graphic element breaking up the OOF FG. I just wished the head was a tad more to camera than away. I also feel that having a 'consistent' top helps, easily fixed. A bit more 'weight' at the foot may also help? Nice one Stu.

TFS
    Steve

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu - Nice sharpness in the hare and the light is beautiful. The effect of the oof stalks adds an interesting effect for me here. I do wish for a little more room below but then the effect of the oof stalks may have been different. You and Jon have much more experience with your British hares so I will leave the colors to you. Glad to see you getting the hang of PS.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Hollander View Post
    Hi Stu - Nice sharpness in the hare and the light is beautiful. The effect of the oof stalks adds an interesting effect for me here. I do wish for a little more room below but then the effect of the oof stalks may have been different. You and Jon have much more experience with your British hares so I will leave the colors to you. Glad to see you getting the hang of PS.

TFS,
    Rachel

Yes the stalks threw me completely Rachel what came off the camera was certainly not really expected,but something for me to learn from and take forwards. I'm very shakey with PS as of yet,but it's only been a couple or three weeks,enjoying it though. I think what is really helping is that slow approach,i've learnt so much from you guys and that means I have ideas of what I want to try and achieve and much rougher ideas which tools might help get me there.. I just wish I could share a bit more.

Jon Steve Rachel thanks all you have all been an incredible help

take care

stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really cool. This has a vert striking graphic look to it. Nice light as well.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

this is a dreamy shot, for me personally to my tastes one of the better hare images I've seen on BPN, mate
    love the broken OOF mushy FG plants, the way the light hits the face and pops out from the mush
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu a very fine hare image , i love the very shallow DOF and the OOF stuff in FG and BG is priceless good . Makes a big difference to the usual grass or weed shoots. Just wish for more room at the foot ..... does it need a canvas rotation ?
    You are on a good way ..... nice to see your progress .

TFS Andreas

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow Stu, fantastic capture of this young hare! Love the golden light and colours are superb. If you had a little more space at the bottom of the frame it would have been perfect, my friend.

Love to see you pushing the limits, not to mention your progress in terms of processing skills. I also enjoyed reading the story behind the image, thank you so much

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is really lovely, Stu. Well seen and captured. The wispy oof stalks and directional light make this, and capturing the hare peeking through it at the perfect moment. Steve's minor tweaks have lifted this a little further. Great work from where I sit.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

My humble apologies for the slow response. Huge thanks for the incredibly kind words,I agree completely with the points made about a bit more below,i'd picked up on that and already had a few words with myself re my framing ,it needs to be better !!

Thanks so so much everyone for taking the time,a truly magical evening and an image made by the very stems i'd cursed all night because they were preventing me from moving ,a wonderful irony in that.

Take care all,sorry again for being so slow

stu