Thread: Long tailed tit

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Long tailed tit

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 1DX Canon 500mm f4 L IS II ISO 2000 1/1000 sec f8 (1600px x 900px)
    I was set up in my back garden hide patiently waiting for a female sparrowhawk. She bathes regularly in my pond and then perches on a stump to dry an preen. I have lost count the number of times she arrives ten minutes after I pack up due to poor light or angle of light. This little guy was some consolation on this particular day.
    All C&C welcome.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon:

Quite a tail, like the slightly stronger contrast of feathers here, he isn't quite as muted as many of the LBJs. Open bill.

The angle and shape of the perch, coupled with his long tail, makes this one a bit of a challenge on how to crop. I like the plant material down to the right, serves to balance him. Not quite so enamored of the clump up to right.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Stout View Post
    Jon:

Quite a tail, like the slightly stronger contrast of feathers here, he isn't quite as muted as many of the LBJs. Open bill.

The angle and shape of the perch, coupled with his long tail, makes this one a bit of a challenge on how to crop. I like the plant material down to the right, serves to balance him. Not quite so enamored of the clump up to right.

Cheers

Randy
    Absolutely right Randy finding the ideal crop proved awkward indeed.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, excellent detail here, and I like the pose with the open beak. Well exposed on the darks, infact overall, and I too like the hanging pods. Killer smooth BG.

Hope you have oiled all your gear - it cant be long now. You will be leaving minus degrees to mid 30 degrees C. Sunblock and hats are the order of the day.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A beauty Jon, what a lovely little bird. I like everything about the image, thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A beautiful consolation prize! You did well to balance the composition, looks good. I imagine you saw this coming, but I wish for the head angled towards us rather than away. Terrific details, and the blacks look excellent.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I've been enjoying your small bird shots, Jon and especially like this one for the lovely detail and tonal range on the bird. I can see composition was tricky but this works for me. Background is nice and neutral. The colours on the bird are really delightful but can see a feint green tinge on the light/white feathers on the breast. Look forward to seeing the sparrowhawk when you get it.