Thread: Here Comes The Queen !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Here Comes The Queen !

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello everyone ! Thank you for all your comments and suggestions on my previous post , much appreciated .

Here is a Tiger image from Bandhavgarh, where we were moving in the backward direction as the Tigress was moving towards us. The light was fading quickly and this was the time when the tigress was abt to reach this place where the track rises and we accordingly placed ourselves to get a ground level POV. Tried to make most of the backlit situation when the tigress started to emerge on the scene.

DPP 4.5, CS6, BW conversion, clarity, shadow/highlights, curves, levels, cropped from all four sides , NR, sharpening.

Canon 5D MK III, Canon 500mm f4 IS II, bean bag.

1/4000 sec; f/5.6; ISO 4000.

All your comments and suggestions are highly appreciated.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Interesting idea behind this shot Haseeb. I like the pose on the tiger and the stare you are getting. However, overall it's not quite working for me, possibly too much else in the frame including that angled stump on the right. Maybe a pano crop would help this one but not sure what else to suggest. I think the conversion is fine but would also be interested in seeing the colour version.

3. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb, a different persecutive for sure, but like Glenn, I'm not sure the framing is working, I feel there is too much FG. In addition the image looks very flat in terms of 'tone' and looking at the techs 1/4000 is a bit much, keeping around 1/2000 would have been enough and reduced the ISO too. I thinking 'playing' with the tonal range will bring more our and provide better clarity and detail. I have a sneaking suspicion the metering may have been fooled by the brighter BKG? Could you pop the Raw over?

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Glenn and Steve !

Wanted to keep the tiger as small as possible in the frame . Also more of the FG, I feel gives that ground level perspective.

@ Steve : Will send you the RAW asap , would like to see what can be done with the frame.

Thank you and your comments are much appreciated.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb ... i like your idea in this instance that you give the tiger room to walk into , in the views head .
    But for some reasons it does not work for me as presented , for me the biggest issue is your choice of going the B&W route . if you go B&W, i think you need a more graphic approach and the overall tones and contrast does just look " dirty " to me. The big dead stump is killing the BG ....nothing you can do about . If you want to do something with this version , i might lighten the road and darken the both sides to give the tiger a path to walk into the frame .
    I think i would rather play with color ...
    But always good to see your visions ....which i like in this case .

TFS Andreas

7. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

hi Haseeb - Sorry, but I too am going to echo the others here and say it isn't working for me. I like the idea but want the tiger to be a bit further up on the slope or perhaps even better to have shot portrait so it is just the road as a leading line, the tiger and then some of the trees behind and sky. I also find the log to be too dominant in the image. Agree with the others about the tones. Always good to experiment though.

TFS,
    Rachel

9. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Haseeb, thanks for the file.

If I'm honest it's not great, the subject lacks detail and there is a truck load of noise and it's all looking a bit muddy, the conditions were tough, but you persevered so well done.

I'm not sure if I have improved things or not, hammered the **** out of the file to get some tone, but... I worked on all three stages FG, Subject and then the BKG individually because you could not control all three, exported them into one file and then worked again on the individual layers with Curves, levels masks etc to try to get some 'range' within the shot. I also took the liberty of just going slightly tones for a bit of warmth to the shot. Perhaps I could have gone more 'High Key' on the skyline adding a bit more????

The crop is personal, many options, tree stump I left in.

I'm not sure if this has helped or not, I would get to grips with the MKII and get some current stuff before June.

Cheers
    Steve

11. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Loving the subject matter and POV here Haseeb, but must agree with the others, the B&W treatment doesn't bring out the best here. Would also investigate another crop without the fallen tree.

TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Steve and Marc !

yes, the raw is not that great , as there is a lot of noise and I guess Steve you did your best with the RAW but the problems persists as discussed above. I hope to build upon from the insights as provided by you all for a better image if some similar kind of opportunity arises in the future .

Extremely thankful for all your honest opinions on the same , much appreciated!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You are more than welcome Haseeb and keep me posted re the MKII, as time is moving on quickly and the little issues we need to address.

15. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sure Steve !