Thread: Merganser on a Stroll

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Merganser on a Stroll

Attached Images Attached Images

Had a lovely shoot at a local lake on MLK day. The light presented wonderful reflections and greenery and flowers in the water. Here, a Merganser happened by.

Details: Nikon D850/Sigma 500/4, 1/3200, 5.6, ISO 900, HH, C1P (raw), PS CCC 2018 Neat Image NR, SS on Output.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely colours but the head and bill doesn't look pin sharp to me, the side and wing looks fine.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

something went wrong in the processing I think
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jay:

I agree with Jon and Arash. Head just isn't quite crisp enough, and the colors seem unrealistic, like the saturation was too high. Obviously I was't there, but I haven't every seen colors quite that vivid.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Stout View Post
    Jay:

I agree with Jon and Arash. Head just isn't quite crisp enough, and the colors seem unrealistic, like the saturation was too high. Obviously I was't there, but I haven't every seen colors quite that vivid.

Cheers

Randy
    I'll have to go back through and look for any shots that nail the head better. I'm not sure - but my guess is Arash was noting the mistake in my applying NR. I applied it (perhaps is too much of a rush/too lazy.... nah, not me :)...) to the water from foreground to background and this did some strange things to the water. As for the colors though, that's them... nature is sometimes just amazing, right?... here's a frame (didn't check but probably not the exact one I used before but from the same series of shots) only imported into C1P and kicked out as jegs. Right now, the greenery is just bursting around this lake and its mostly all bright greens, but for a few flowers that are very vidid...and... a few homes around the lake are painting bright... when the light is just right... the commingling it spectacular. In fact, on the newer Merganser photo I posted I wish the bkg was less vivid so the splashes and colors of the bird stood out better. I wanted to tone them down but my PS skills are still very nascent.