Thread: Fallow Deer

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Fallow Deer

Attached Images Attached Images

Finally 'the studio' is finished and this cold id now showing signs of going, so a morning of gentle PP and getting back into the swing of it, leaving the boys to finish off upstairs this week before the big push on downstairs!!!

Again, another image shot at ground level (very slightly looking up), but hunkered into the the bushes that divides the fields. I was fortunate as the wind was coming from the right direction as this Fallow deer trotted across with some nice light coming from behind.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Fallow Deer (Dama dama)
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 500f/4 MKII with 1.4MKIII HH
    Exposure: 1/2000s at f/6.3 ISO1600
    Original format: Landscape, almost FF
    Processed via: LR Classic CC & PS CC2018

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely exposure and details in the buck, he stands out very well from the foreground and background.
    I guess you have adjusted the foreground & background exposure/brightness Steve?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I guess you have adjusted the foreground & background exposure/brightness Steve?
    HaHa Jon, no it just happened like that, with the dark area of sparseness too. I also left the OOF branches in on that area as it just would look to stark I felt.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    HaHa Jon, no it just happened like that, with the dark area of sparseness too. I also left the OOF branches in on that area as it just would look to stark I felt.
    ...and I thought I had you sussed!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

...and I thought I had you sussed!!
    Jon, you know how I work and will always take the easy option.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes good separation between the deer and background. Detail looks good and you got some nice light on the animal but if I'm honest I'm not a fan of the shadow over the top of his head. Other than that a great image though.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful image, Steve. Well exposed and super techs, lovely colours. DoF is spot on, perfect framing.
    Easy option is best option, LOL. Nicely processed, love the warmth overall and rich tones. Lots of detail too. Oh it just works, let's not forget IQ and this nice 3D feel

A little off topic, been doing updates tonight and my LR is sorted now

Hope you have a wonderful rest of the week, chat soon,

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve - Congrats on the completion of the studio. Does it double as a man cave or can Alison use it too? Nice running pose of the buck with excellent sharpness. I also wish the shadow was not bisecting the eye. If it were mine I would reduce the blues and cyans in the shadow on the neck and chest. Nice one overall.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cool deer really like the palmated antlers. The sense of motion is great and the dark background makes the deer really pop.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks folks.

Re shadows, I'm fine it's not a major problem to me, plus at the hi res output it's 'natural' compared to some postings here and the fact that the shadows are not heavy, strong or dominating with a visible eye too.

Good to know all is hung dory Gabriela, although I need to you to check you have a box checked as it will make your life easier.

John M, with sufficient space between the subject & tree line, and the 500 compressing things it does help the 'pop' factor, along with the light which you too are now achieving.

Thanks Rachel, no, it's all mine and with perfect control of the environment light too, so the only light is now from the monitors, just a bit better than before. Not seeing any Cyan/Blue, and I would find it strange too, based on the initial WB & recipe that is run at first base.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent separation of subject from surrounds and great trotting action which adds for me Steve - timing here was great. I like the strip of in-focus grass from the low POV too. Also quite like the directional light which shows off the shape and textures on the animal but still without losing much in the shadowed areas. Surprised you haven't posted this one a bit bigger though?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve ...a perfect running capture of this fallow deer , the legs position could not be any better .
    This guy looks like a being a very strong male , looking at his posture . All does look good in terms of framing , tone and color , lovely fine details as expected . Not much you could have done about the darkish BG , so no issue for me.
    I have to agree with Rachel about the slight " blueish " tint in the areas she was referring to , but no big deal for me and i would leave it that way .
    The 500 gave you the lovely separation from the BG .....

If you have lightened the face area ( i bet you did ) i would back off on that , as the shadow created by the antlers does look slightly darker than the shadow created by that ear .Just my take.

One of the better images of fallow dear , specially being that much out in the open. Very nice Steve.

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Surprised you haven't posted this one a bit bigger though?
    Hi Glenn, for me I feel 1200 or 1600 is more than adequate and do not envisage changing, but it's all down to the individual .

If you have lightened the face area ( i bet you did ) i would back off on that , as the shadow created by the antlers does look slightly darker than the shadow created by that ear
    Not to my knowledge Andreas, but if I did I may have done it globally on the Deer, I also had D+ enabled.

Regarding the 'Cyan/Blue' measuring the values within the whole area, on the hi res Tiff I am in fact a % under on the blue 50.2, 50.3, 49.8 and that in some areas it's running 2% more in the Red channel, so in all honesty it can stay.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

No worries Steve ... it can stay as i said .

Regarding the shadow around the eye ....well i think D+ has got nothing to do with opening up shadows . But if you say nothing lightened in that area ...than is must be ok. I better did not bet ... LOL .

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Glenn, for me I feel 1200 or 1600 is more than adequate and do not envisage changing, but it's all down to the individual .
    Hi Steve, not suggesting you go to 1920 (I can't handle it well on my monitor) but 1600 would be very nice. Your choice in the end.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve - Hopefully Alison got her own special place too (or is that the remainder of the house?). No problem on the blues. As I said, if it were mine I might reduce them but it is yours so no worries.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- Terrific details and IQ , great low POV ! What a handsome looking specimen as well. Just can't get my eyes of this brilliant image . fantastic !

TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fabulous Steve,the usual great details. He's a stonking chap Steve, i'm seeing so few mature bucks,it's really cool to see him,not only that but your take on a fallow. A great yardstick for me personally Steve.

I really like the way the light works on him and the dark areas behind just accentuate that great with the movement too conferred by the legs
    For me it just works across the board love the colours, they just look right, exactly what I'd expect in an animal i know well, he could be from the herd we photograph Steve,if it weren't for that rack!! Fallow vary so much,i'm really stuck with how familiar he seems

Glad your winning on the house buddy.

cheers for sharing mate really enjoyable for me to view and ponder

stu