Thread: Common Loon Feeding Chick

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Common Loon Feeding Chick

Attached Images Attached Images

I thought I might have timed my July vacation in Maine just right to get a shot of a Loon chick riding on the parent's back. Alas, on my first day there I got into the little solo canoe and found both parents with a chick that must have been just a few days off the back. It had not yet learned to dive comfortably (I did see one brief attempt at a dive), so the parents would take turns coming to feed it. I love the way the parent Loon can somehow lower its buoyancy to get down to the level of the little chick. I previously posted several shots where I was close enough to fill the frame with parent and chick. This one is cropped to about 65% of full width. Taken sitting on the floor of the canoe, with the lens braced on my knee. Can't compete with Randy, but this was my one and only close encounter with Loon parents and chick, so I was pleased to come away with a few frames.

D500, Sigma 150-600 @ 550mm, ISO 1000, 1/2500s @ f/8 manual. HH

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good POV.
    Nice and sharp.
    It looks like a dull cloudy day but you managed to show the iridescence on head quite well.
    I just with the eye on the chick was a bit brighter,
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bill:

It is so much fun to watch them stuffing the chick! They are such good parents, it is a full time job.

Well exposed, low pov, nice water color. Always a challenge to get both birds in the plane of focus for this pose, well done.

Just for your planning in the future. Most chicks will only ride for ~ 10 days after hatching. Loons in Michigan generally hatch in the first week of June, depending on the weather earlier in the season. Gestation is 28-30 days. Some parents are a bit more tolerant of late riders, but most aren't , esp. if there are two chicks.

Look forward to more!

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely POV and a tender moment captured. Well worth the effort. Some good advice from Randy.

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice loon frame. The water is very nice. Interaction between with the chick is great.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great POV. Love the food bit in the chicks beak. Nice details and touch of iridescence showing on the parent.

Geoffrey

http://https://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone.