Thread: Pallid Cuckoo (female)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Pallid Cuckoo (female)

Name:  IMG_6471-BPN.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  510.9 KB
    I saw the bird fly in to this low perch thinking there would be no chance I'd get close enough for a decent photo as I was 20 or 30 metres away. So I decided to try something different. I got down on all fours and acted like a grazing animal gradually working my way closer and closer, but not in a direct line approach. I was in a paddock that sometimes has cattle in it. Luckily the ground was grassy. I eventually got quite close, took a few 'security' shots then attempted to stand up. Much to my surprise, the bird stayed. In fact, it was too relaxed and refused to turn and look my way for some time even though I started making a few noises to get its attention - none of which seemed to have any effect. I got this shot after a considerable wait and when I'd given up making any sound. The bird even allowed me to walk away and approach on all fours from the other side. The things we do for a photo. I've cloned an OOF branch out on the lower left. Crop is about two thirds of the frame area.

Thank you for looking and for any comments you are kind enough to share.

Technical: Canon 80D with EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM at 400mm handheld. Manual exposure 1/1250 sec, f8, ISO 800. Processed in Canon DPP 4 (digital lens optimiser @ 50, sharpness = 3, crop, lighting adjustments, NR) then exported 16 bit TIFF to Photoshop Elements with Neat Image NR plugin. Modest NR applied to bird and stronger to background. Selective adjustments to bird (added a little saturation, lightened eye, added midtone contrast and darkened highlights). Bird only sharpened in PSE (Sharpness tool, remove Gaussian Blur: 0.4 pixels at 50%) after final size reduction.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The perch is awesome...
    Nice pose, processing looks good. Nice work.

3. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Effort really paid off, this is very nice. The shot from behind with the head turn really shows this bird well.
    Greg

5. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Gorgeous Glenn, really superb! IQ, pose, detail, BG, all wonderful. Great approach of yours paid off. If you had more room or could add canvas canvas on the bottom i think it wouldn't feel so cramped. dof covered the goods!

7. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful capture, Glenn. Good thinking with your approach technique based on your location. This beautiful bird kept its eye on you, but from your story she was not frightened, more than likely curious. Like the light and the fine detail and a excellent perch. Agree with Ann, if you have more in the frame I would open the crop at the base.

Geoffrey

http://https://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

9. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You have caught the tones beautifully and processing is spot on well done.

11. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Glenn, good look back pose, and well done on achieving DOF on the length of the bird. The feather detail really stands out, sharp, and another vote for finding more room at the bottom.

13. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is a cracker Glenn. The BG colours draw the eye onto the subject. Really nice pose and great detail on the bird. Very nice perch. Love the colours throughout. Well done mate.

Will

15. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice Glenn.
    I love your story and I have done similar things myself.
    I am a bit late to the party but I agree with ANN that you need a bit more room on the bottom.
    I love the IQ on the bird.
    Since you have already cloned out a branch I might be tempted to clone out the lower part of the OOF branch on the RHS of frame (back to the bend/)
    Gail

17. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Many thanks to you all for your helpful critiques. Here is a repost with a looser crop, mainly bringing in a bit more below. Also posted at a larger size now images are displaying properly at bigger sizes so you can enjoy a bit more of that fine detail. Gail, I was reluctant to clone out what I did so didn't take up your suggestion to clone out a bit more. A bridge too far, sorry.

Name:  IMG_6471-BPN-L.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  488.3 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Late to the party on this one Glenn, but I really like this one. The look back pose is great, as is the two toned BG. I like the twisted perch. Details look great. Nice reading about the makings of the image too. TFS

20. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post