Thread: Old 300 2.8 afs (non VR) + TC-20e III

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Old 300 2.8 afs (non VR) + TC-20e III

Hi guys. I've been thinking about a lens upgrade for my bird photography for a while. I currently shoot with a 300 f4 af-d (non afs) on a D300. I also sometimes shoot on a tripod that's very capable of holding exotic primes if I could afford them. I'm constantly finding reach a problem and I feel it hurts my marsh birds and birds of prey photography especially.

I've considered zooms like the Nikon 200-500 and the Sigma 150-600 but what I'm leaning towards is a 300 2.8 afs coupled with a TC-20e III which is in a similar price range. My logic for leaning towards the 300 2.8 is because it's very overcast here and I could take off a TC and at least have a 300mm reach with the benefits of a 2.8 aperture.

So now to my question. I know the old 300 2.8 afs and afs II are very optically similar to the VR versions. I've also heard the new TC-20e III is very successful with the 300 2.8 VR/VR II. If I got a second hand 300 2.8 afs in good condition could I expect the same results as a VR or VR II, assuming I shoot on a tripod all the time? Has anyone used the old 300mm af-s with the new TC-20 III and found it terrible or just the opposite? Is my logic on this potential purchase sound or should I be doing something else?

I appreciate any input I can get on this.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The newest TC’s from Nikon are not compatible with the original AF-S lenses.