Thread: belted kingfisher

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Default belted kingfisher

Attached Images Attached Images

Set-up: This was my first experience photographing from a blind with a "keep" full of native fish to lure a bird. I learned a-lot about myself as a bird photographer and that is more meaningful to me than some stellar images (imho!) I captured. Sitting in the dark waiting for a kingfisher to arrive was so exciting, and downright thrilling when he was perched and chattering away. His vocalizing went on for a few minutes and i assume he was making his presence known and proclaiming his turf. It was still too dark to shoot as the sun had not risen, but i was engrossed with his presence, his behavior, and the anticipation of him fishing. Most of all, i was finally sitting front row in front of a kingfisher rather than seeing his "tail lights" as he many times throughout the years would leave me in the dust... That very privilege, being in his presence, is what I carry within from that shoot. The kingfisher dove repeatedly into the keep and would almost certainly return with a fish. He also would dive away from the keep and successfully return with his meal, this however did not happen as often. After looking at my images and reflecting on my experience, once was enough for me, I prefer to "earn" my next kingfisher image without bait...

1Dx
    600mm
    ISO 800
    ss 1/3200
    Processed in DPP , -2 highlights, +2 shadows. There is a small area on the neck that has blinkies. In PS, removed the 2nd catchlight, cleaned up the bill, and smart sharpened.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow... what a story... Bird looks 'perfectly ready' Thanks for that Ann

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice, Ann. This is a handsome portrait of this male. (Maybe a little lacking in white detail in the cheek.) So tough to get close to these guys. Sure, it can be more rewarding to "earn" it in the field, but I'd be happy to have this one.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pretty shot Ann with nice details. I didn't realize that he puts out food for them. Guess that is necessary to keep the bird there after the pond dries up? I understand your perspective but for some birds blinds are almost mandatory to get a shot like this. Sure you may be able to do it naturally but it would take an extraordinary amount of time and effort that could be spent doing other things. Guess it is a matter or priorities. I would be thrilled to have this shot. To think I was so close to that bird so many times...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great setup and experience - lucky you Ann. I don't know what these look like in real life but the colours look nice here. The only thing that stood out for me was the detail lacking on the rear of the neck area. I'm guessing you weren't able to recover anything there. Did you get any shots from the softer light just before sunrise as they may well have not suffered in that way? Really lovely background and great perch. Composition looks good to my eye also.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice. I like the pose and BG as well as the perch. I agree with Bill and Glenn that some more detail out of the cheeks would be great if its there. I think I'd clone out the lone blue spot in the BG as it just draws my eye slightly. TFS

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Just a beauty, Ann. Both your capture and this fine looking specimen. They always seem to have great posture and there is usually plenty of lead time with their very loud chatter. Wonderful story.

Geoffrey

http://https://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ann:

I agree with the others, neat story. I have seen the tail end view of many a kingfisher. They frequent the shoreline where our cottage is, and you can see and hear them as they work along the shoreline, but getting close enough to take a picture is another story.

When time allows, I am going to put a blind on my boat, anchor out a bit, and try an enclosure for a few fish, to see what happens. Yes, I would prefer not to 'bait' them, but after 15 years of trying to get a straight shot, I guess it is worth a try.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Good luck Randy, I look forward to hearing about your progress with this. I know i would never ever get the images i got from the set-up... for me it was truly mesmerizing to observe him so closely for about three hours. I lost count after #28 2 inch fish and one crayfish! It would be neat to "focus" on flight shots with this set-up.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Ann, a great read on your intro, and kudos for going out your comfort zone. I like the concentrated pose looking down for his next meal, and overall, nice and sharp. I like that your perch was not too overpowering, and thats a nice BG too.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good comments Ann and I agree that getting the shot "all by yourself" is always better but there is no shame in using a blind and throwing a few fishies out.
    Agree with the above comments about the whites on cheek and great perch and BG,
    Gail