Thread: Lioness

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Lioness

Attached Images Attached Images

Not going to set the world alight with this, just a stock shot of a gorgeous female lioness I had the pleasure to spend a week with (and her pride) in Botswana early in the morning 6.35am. With the closer proximity of her to lens and probably the fact that she saw her own reflection, she did get a bit twitchy, but easily resolved, just quietly put the lens down and went for the 70-200.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Lioness (Panthera leo)
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 200-400f/4 HH
    Exposure: 1/1000s at f/5.6 ISO2500
    Original format: Landscape, very slight crop, FF width
    Processed via: LR Classic CC & PSCC2018

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Seems the new size is resized, so here is the image at 1200px.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve - That intense stare can take your breath away. Lovely morning light and detail. I might have stopped down just slightly but not a deal breaker by any means. Amazing that she has absolutely no scars.

TFS,
    Rachel

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I looked at pane 1 and thought that's not up to scratch Mr K! Repost looks good I like the way the left eye has a tiny ray of light on the eyelid. I was a little surprised at the 5.6 at this magnification, I think I would have gone for f8.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nose to eyes pin sharp, ears start to tail off, so I' am OK with that. as it the prime areas to me that need to be sharp, but could have gone to 7.1 as the ISO was just beginning to creep up, but marginal for the MK2.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, this has to be one of the most prettiest lionesses I have seen. Love the eye contact, the detail and the clean BG. Nice light and colours. TFS.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is a very nice lion portrait. Great light. Cool frame.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve a nice solid portrait of this good and healthy looking lioness .
    For me it is the res that is drawing me in , love the glossy clarity in them. Well done on all technical counts . Just surprised about your choice of SS and aperture , would have expected more DOF if this is a planned shot. But not ideal breaker for me , does look good as presented .
    Lovely warm colors and good tonal range with lots of detail to look at , and your very nice fine rendering of the details makes this pleasing to look at.

Where is the difference in the tones coming from ...between the two images ?

Top notch ........ need to book a PS workshop in Dec ....LOL !!!

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Where is the difference in the tones coming from ...between the two images ?
    In the lighting if I get what you mean, just wished the rest had turned out as good, won't make that mistake again coming 'straight off the production line', as you know!!

need to book a PS workshop in Dec ....LOL !!!
    Might do the same with C1 as it's so close to LR and you can customise it to almost reflect the look of LR too, although I'm not sure you can do the same for finding the WB mid grey,? Perhaps it comes with a German pair of socks for calibration?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Sanjeev and John, however Sanjeev, you have posted some cracking Leopards, if my memory serves me right.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- What a beautiful Lioness, a model in her own world it seems ! Beautiful light and cracking detail as well. I think DOF is just abt perfect as presented , sharp where it matters. And usual excellent IQ .

TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve ,
    i meant the two images do look different in terms of tonality in some parts of the fur !! Question was ...two different edits or two different frames . I cannot be more specific or RP something with illustration as i am not at home , hope you get what i mean. If not i will RP tomorrow.

I have a german grey socked copy of C1 ....... almost as good as the LR tool . But agree with you , that little thing is quite neat and i wish that C1 or DPP would have it. But there are always some little things in life , where the grass is greener on the other side .
    So i can greatly live with the grey sock version .

Cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, the new posting size has really brought this lovely lady to life. Brilliant detail, sharp where it counts, and just love the light cast on her right eye. Nicely separated from the BG too.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What Beauty, Steve. She fills the screen and I am tempted to touch her. At any cost Superb eye contact. Love the detail and sharpness. Beautifully processed, oh it just works. A Botswana lioness, of course, and what comes to mind as I am viewing is "strength and beauty". Love the way she looks at you, I know this stare so well, she is assessing the situation:)

You make me think of the Kalahari now, as you know I am going there soon. Been told one of my favourite leopard females has two little cubs, and at Rooiputs camp the lion pride is all over the place. I am counting sleeps!

So thank you for this, once again you motivate me to try get the best images I can. I know, DoF not enough every now and then, but I will work on it

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve my comment wasn't meant to be sarcastic - when I looked first time the larger image did not look at all clear but the second one did. Now I have gone back I see it has resized properly. It looks pretty impressive, love the detail and tones.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Male just a simple portrait, but on this one the light makes it much more interesting. I quite like the off angle light as its coming from what I call the 'dominant' side and lights the eye closest to the camera.

I think a little more DoF would have helped here, and shooting at ISO 2500 you had loads of ISO left to work with. The nose just looks a little sharper to me that the eye.

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I do like side lighting.
    This is a very nice and detailed image. The large file kills me with detail. :D