Thread: BPN Posting Size Increase

Co-Owner / BPN Engineer Peter Kes's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default BPN Posting Size Increase

Dear Bloggers

Please note that effective immediately, in response to requests from members and the ever-increasing popularity of higher resolution desktop and laptop monitors, the posting size for BPN images is being increased to less than 1920 pixels on the long side at less than 600kb.
    This applies to jpg, gif and png images.

Your Admin
    Arthur Morris & Peter Kes

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Peter, just be clear - on both Landscape and Portrait images the longest edge must not exceed 1920px at 600kbs?

Cheers
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I updated the guidelines, thanks.
    Size limits within the square of 1920 pixels. Is this too much ?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Personally I feel it is, even on a 27 inch monitor Peter, not sure what it's like on say a 15 inch laptop?

I did post at 1900px (landscape) at 595kb, the image uploaded, but the image was then resized back to I guess, 1200px?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Personally I feel it is, even on a 27 inch monitor Peter, not sure what it's like on say a 15 inch laptop?

I did post at 1900px (landscape) at 595kb, the image uploaded, but the image was then resized back to I guess, 1200px?
    Yes, Mike Poole who recently posted a dolphin on the Wildlife forum has demonstrated this issue of downsizing. I think this is going to cause grief because downsizing automatically like this is going to soften image detail - just as it does when an image is downsized in Photoshop and we have all learnt that a round of output sharpening is required to fix this. In fact, Mike's dolphin shot drew a comment for more sharpening. But when I downloaded it and viewed it at 100%, it looked great in terms of detail. I don't know if this is occurring simply because the image is too wide to display 1:1 so it automatically downsizes or whether this happens regardless so all images will only display 1200 wide when opened on the site. I hope not the latter?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The style sheets were still on 1200, now changed to 1920 as well.

7. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Arash and Peter, Please see the image displayed too big on my 15" Macbook Pro: http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...62#post1174662

What are we doing wrong?

with love, artie
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 01-13-2018 at 04:50 PM.
    later and love, artie......... Arthur Morris/BIRDS AS ART

BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions.
    BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.
    BIRDS AS ART Instructional Photo-Tours: we cost more because you get more and learn more.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I find the 1920 too big simply because I have a 23 inch monitor. I appreciate people with large monitors will have a different view to express. I suggested 1600 x 1200 px may prove a size worthy of consideration because this is the size used in international/national competition does anyone else think this is a more practical size?

10. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agree with John that a 1500/1600 sizing is more appropriate, provided we can stick with the 600kb and implement "right click" protection.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Don't forget that 1920 is an upper limit. Nothing wrong with posting a bit smaller and 1400 to 1600 would be a maximum width I'd aim for in most of my posts.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with what seems to be the consensus here that 1600 pixels should be the maximum while keeping the 600kb. I would guess that this size would fit the majority of displays used by members of BPN.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

While the maximum will be 1920 pixels, you can post at whatever size you want. We are not saying that you must post at 1920 pixels or 1600 pixels you can post at 800 pixels if you wish.

We want to make the site more enjoyable for the many folks who have 4K screens including everyone who owns an Apple desktop computer purchased in the last 5 years. Folks who have older screens can still post at the same size they did before and enjoy viewing.

@Mark, right click protection is not possible in BPN. In order to do that you need to use FALSH player and convert images into a flash object, this not only reduces the quality but also provides 0 protection, anyone can just use print screen to capture the image and then crop it. besides sometimes members like to download an image and work in it to demonstrate a point

hope this helps
    Last edited by arash_hazeghi; 01-16-2018 at 09:29 PM.
    New! Birds in flight Photography Basics 2017
    ------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Arash (or anybody else for that matter)

Please can I ask how you prepare your shots for viewing on he web on a 4k 5k screen and at what PPI? I'm just wondering if the 4k screens required a different approach.

My current workflow is this -

1. Convert the RAW image

2. Send the TIFF to PS and do the individual layer adjustments etc

3. Save the shots as a TIFF for future use

4. Resize for intended out put, so traditionally for here, I'd go to Image -> Image size, then set the resolution at 72ppi and the longest horizontal size at 1200px

5. Sharpen as required

6. Export -> Save for Web (legacy) at <400kb.

If I'm wanting to prepare for a 4k display at 1920px wide do I need to be altering steps 4 and 6? Do I now need to be working at a larger ppi and does the 'save for web' change any of the sizing settings?

I fully get why you like the new sizes, but I'd hate for the site to become divisive and lose members so I'm considering preparing 2 shots per thread - one 1920px and 1200px which shouldn't take too much extra time and wold help people with both styles of monitor.

Just at thought for now

Mike

16. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mike why do you save the file as a flattened Tiff and not a PSD file? What happens if you need to make future adjustments, how do you remember the steps take to create that Tiff?

18. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Mike why do you save the file as a flattened Tiff and not a PSD file? What happens if you need to make future adjustments, how do you remember the steps take to create that Tiff?
    Its just what I was told to do years ago. Is saving as a PSD a better option? If so, what are the benefits? Reading stuff on the internet just seems to make matters like this more confusing as its difficult to know who to believe. At least here you can judge people on their work and knowledge in a field thats relative to my interests

Mike

20. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mike, when I export a Tiff via LR from the RAW file to do any further 'tweaks' they are all then saved with ALL Layers visible, albeit that this creates a larger file. The image is then saved with all layers, NOT flattened and re saved back into LR where I can make any adjustments in the future and when required, resize, set all output settings and Export the final Tiffs, JPEGs etc from LR. By retaining the tiff with all layers you know exactly what you have done and can go back to refine the image anytime because you have the 'master' file to hand along with the RAW. If you flatten the file you will never be able to go back and refine, modify or update it - back to square one again from Exporting from the RAW.

22. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Poole View Post
    Arash (or anybody else for that matter)

Please can I ask how you prepare your shots for viewing on he web on a 4k 5k screen and at what PPI? I'm just wondering if the 4k screens required a different approach.

My current workflow is this -

1. Convert the RAW image

2. Send the TIFF to PS and do the individual layer adjustments etc

4. Resize for intended out put, so traditionally for here, I'd go to Image -> Image size, then set the resolution at 72ppi and the longest horizontal size at 1200px

5. Sharpen as required

6. Export -> Save for Web (legacy) at <400kb.

If I'm wanting to prepare for a 4k display at 1920px wide do I need to be altering steps 4 and 6? Do I now need to be working at a larger ppi and does the 'save for web' change any of the sizing settings?

I fully get why you like the new sizes, but I'd hate for the site to become divisive and lose members so I'm considering preparing 2 shots per thread - one 1920px and 1200px which shouldn't take too much extra time and wold help people with both styles of monitor.

Just at thought for now

Mike
    Hi Mike,

in step 4 you resize to 1920 pixels, the ppi is solely for printing and does not matter.

I had the same problem of saving images at 1200 and 1920 for a while and got fed up with it, all other sites where I post haven't had size restrictions for many years now, After posting I would delete those 1200 pixels files because they were a waste of disk space. If anything BPN has been slow. Some folks have already stopped posting because the images just look tiny and lacking. It also prohibits us from gaining new members as the images lack oomph on modern screens when they look at our site for the first time. Apple products have had 5K screens since 2013 and in the US Apple is what the majority of photographers use. Most new PC's made for photography have also been shipping with 4K screens.

Again as I said above a few times you do not have to post at HD you can still post at the older size if you want, so nothing really affects you and we still want only one image per post so you have to decide which one you want to post

hope this helps

best
    Last edited by arash_hazeghi; 01-17-2018 at 12:09 PM.
    Visit my blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by arash_hazeghi View Post
    Hi Mike,

in step 4 you resize to 1920 pixels, the ppi is solely for printing and does not matter.

I had the same problem of saving images at 1200 and 1920 for a while and got fed up with it, all other sites where I post haven't had size restrictions on size. after posting I would delete those 1200 pixels files because they were. waste of disk space for me. So it's either BPN moves with time or it will also lose folks like myself. Some folks have already stopped posting because the images just look tiny and lacking. It also prohibits us from gaining new members as the images lack oomph on modern screens. Here in the US, most older monitors have gone pout of production for a number of years now and even majority of TV's sold are 4K.

Again as I said above a few times you do not have to post at HD you can still post at the older size if you want, and we still want only one image per post so you have to decide which one you want to post

hope this helps

best
    Ok, thanks thats helpful - at point 4 do you leave the resolution at 300 then?

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

yes Mike I leave it at 300 and also I save as PSD like Steve.
    Visit my blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by arash_hazeghi View Post
    yes Mike I leave it at 300 and also I save as PSD like Steve.
    Thanks, good to know

Mike

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What if we post both images? we post one image at 1920px for those at 4K monitors and one at 1200px for the people with regular monitors? :)

Problem solved?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/raybelr/

Bird Photography: A never ending learning curve.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

i'm having a hard time reading the text and viewing the pic w/o scrolling, even on a 27" lcd, is there anyway to reduce the image size w/o reducing text size ? I'm using MS Edge on WIN10 so I'm guessing not