Thread: Fighting the elements ...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Fighting the elements ...

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks well another seal ..hope you do not become bored

This time a almost adult female , that just got back from the ocean to come onto the beach at low tide .Easy to see as there is a large stretch of beach in the frame , that is typical for Helgoland as the beach is quite narrow at high tide at that location .
    The strong wind that day, had blown the sand heavily across the beach . So the seal became quickly powdered by the fine sand ....the visibility was quite low and the result was a very low contrast image on a overcast day .
    I quite liked the effect in real life and took several shots with different settings , in some frames the seal was almost completely hidden behind sandy wall . So i fired in hope i will get something good.

In this case i have chosen a slower SS to make the sand blurry to create that lovely softness in the image in FG and BG.... for me it worked quite well .Wonder what you think ?

Canon EOS 1Dx II
    EF 500 IS L II
    Tripod

F 6,3 ; Iso 1600 ; 1/250 sec ; man exp

Processed with C1 and PS CC 2018 ; cropped for comp . I kept the framing loose in the field and post to show the whole scenery and i did not want to disturb the seal on its way to the beach , as she looked like being kind of nervous as the visibility was quite poor .

Thanks for watching and commenting to my previous thread .

Cheers Andreas

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bored? not a bit! A very evocative and atmospheric, image I like the processing and the subtle colours.
    I bet it took some time to clean up the lens and camera after this photoshoot!

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agree with Jon here Andreas, not bored at all.

I can also see a version with some Clarity added to the subject and 'blowning' in more of that sand to cover the stones/gravel so the subject is totally 'encased' in the sandstorm.

If December doesn't come off, perhaps I can get young Jon out of his wicker chair and we both come over to Helgoland - but NO PS workshops in the evening.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jon and Steve ....glad you like it. Much appreciate your feedback.

Steve - i had a version with more clarity on the subject already added in C1 , easy thing since the great addition of local adjustments within the software. But refused to use it as it takes away the feeling IMHO. The other thing might work ....have not tried it .I actually quite like the hint of structure in parts of the FG , the other version might look " too sterile" . I guess a matter of taste.
    But both suggestions worth trying ....but will not post , just keep it for me .

Well if you like you are more than welcome to join me ....on " my Helgoland " . It will be somewhere around the second/third week of december at peak of the pupping season. When it is time i will let you guys know .
    But funny you already cut off any options for learning .......LOL . Sorry for you, as you could have learned a lot ....

Cheers Andreas

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas - I echo Jon and Steve at not being bored a bit, especially since you seemed to have experimented a bit more in the field this trip (and the results are great). I absolutely love this one. The soft tones and blowing sands make this very different and it works. I do see a slight halo along the back of the seal. Nice one.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve - i had a version with more clarity on the subject already added in C1 , easy thing since the great addition of local adjustments within the software. But refused to use it as it takes away the feeling IMHO. The other thing might work ....have not tried it .I actually quite like the hint of structure in parts of the FG , the other version might look " too sterile" . I guess a matter of taste.
    But both suggestions worth trying ....but will not post , just keep it for me.

Well if you like you are more than welcome to join me ....on " my Helgoland " . It will be somewhere around the second/third week of december at peak of the pupping season. When it is time i will let you guys know .
    Yes I like the way I can customise C1 to more like LR and it has some nice features, but a lot has stemmed from LR. Not sure about 'structure' a component from the humble NIK software perhaps, I just think the subject needs something for some more detailed tonal range???

Yes no idea at present if things will go ahead or not, very much in the air and no flight booked, it's just an opportunity that came up in conversation that I want to do again, so we will see, however can't speak on Jon's behalf. we will see...

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I see young Steve has a sense of humour - Helgoland sounds good hope you can keep up!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas, I like the nice sand-blown seal & the image has a good 'mood' to it. Nice low angle and colour palette.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Sanjeev your feedback is very much welcome ........ as all the others as well .

Cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve as said above for me it does work as presented , there could be done something to the range as an option , but from my POV not necessarily .

Regarding the structure ..... no idea i do not use that structure , i think all major competitors are looking what the others are using and trying to copy that if they think it does fit into their own piece of software . In the end for me as a user , i do not care where the tools coming from , i must just be able to use them or not use them .

Cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ah sorry Rachel , i forgot to thank you . There is indeed a very slight halo , could be from masking in C1 .... the masking is not as perfect as with the use of lumo masks within PS . But the halo is more evident around the head rather than on the back .

Cheers Andreas

12. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent shot Andreas - really like the sand blowing across the foreground here.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas -- This is one of your very best for me so far ! What a mood to it ! Superbly done ! A slightest of head angle towards the lens but not a deal breaker at all. Loved the feel here .

TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Simon and Haseeb ....very nice that you guys like this one, too !

Cheers Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm also not bored Andreas,I agree with Rachel you seem to have experimented this year I bit more than I remember from last year. I truly love the results especially this and the last I commented on. There is so much atmosphere in some of these frames Andreas as above I find them very special to view.

I'm not giving you much crit andreas you keep making images I like too much Pov the breaking oof wave the wind and sand all combine to make this another special seal frame
    good for you buddy notes on processing noted

TFS

stu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Stu ....much appreciated .

Actually i have not experimented more .... mother nature offered me more options , so i took them . 2016 was just grey ......with little rain and not much wind.

Cheers Andreas

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andreas...I have another title for this "Cloud Nine" What lovely ethereal look! Love the muted colours, pose from the seal, framing is perfect. Would love to see this on canvas! One of your best in terms of "mood" Boetie... ticks all the boxes for me!

I like this as presented, but just curious (for comparison) to see the other version you were talking about, with more clarity on the subject. If you have the time, that is

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela ..thanks so much for your ever so kind wording !!!!
    Due to limited time at the moment i skip this RP that you asking for .....sorry . Just add some clarity yourself .........and see how it does look for you .

Thanks again ...yours grey sockie german

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very atmospheric and moody - tells the story well. I like it, Andreas!
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the bleakness of this shot. The seal looks very natural too, but I certainly don't envy it or you for that matter who had to put up with all that damned sand in your shot.
    I know to take my portable air compressor if I ever go shooting with you Andreas. :)

C1 you mean capture one software? Is that something you would recommend?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

C1 you mean capture one software? Is that something you would recommend?
    Akos, if you think LR & PS is complicated then meet 'Pandora's' box of Raw conversion. If you use LR then you can Customise C1 to have a similar look and feel (skin), but the 'architecture & rabbit warren' will take you down a lot of holes!!!! Yes it is very good, but unless you have a good grasp of how things work, time and have a good book to follow then keep it simple.