Thread: Gaur and the Rising Sun !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Gaur and the Rising Sun !

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello everyone ! Thank you for comments and suggestion son my previous post .

Here is another silhouette image. It is the Gaur or the Indian Bison. Image is taken at the back waters of Pench river , a very scenic location .

DPP 4.5, CS 6 , clarity, shadow/highlights, levels, NR. straightened and cropped from top and rhs.

Canon 7D, toking 11-16mm

1/4000 sec; f/14; ISO 160.

all your comments and suggestions are much appreciated.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb, great thinking here and I very much like the diversity you have taken. As per Rachels image, the blacks are pushed so there is some choking, always look at that Histogram. I also am sure why folk go for greater DoF in shots like this, am I missing something guys???? Techs are a bit off Haseeb IMHO. As an alternative a bit more below, a fraction less to the RHS (16 x 10) perhaps? Check the black specs in the sky, there are not dust bunnies???

TFS
    Steve

3. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Haseeb,

I too am amazed at the number of species you have photographed and keep delighting us with! Thank you for this Haseeb, I enjoyed viewing. As well as seeing a Gaur for the first time. I do agree with Steve, more below and less on the LHS would have benefitted this image in terms of composition. Maybe go more pano, take a bit off the top, WDYT?

So good to see you experimenting, inspires me to do the same. Keep up the good work, hope 2018 is filled with new opportunities for you, keep those images coming please

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

5. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb this works well , nice different stuff .I do agree with Steve about your thinking here ...well done my friend .
    The crop suggestions Steve made are also my favor ....but i am ok with the blacks , leaving a real silhouette .
    Very nice work !!!!

TFS Andreas

7. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very good idea, the gaurs look like they are wearing a viking's helmet! I too would have liked a little more at the base. I would like to see a version as this and also one where the darks are not so dark, for comparison purposes. The more I look I see quite a few dust specks in the sky. I suspect you went for f14 because the gaurs were not in quite the same plane of focus??

9. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I suspect you went for f14 because the gaurs were not in quite the same plane of focus
    Hi Jon, as I mentioned in my feedback, am I missing something here, but why on both Haseeb's and Rachel's image, do you need so much DoF based on this type of image. Surely something like this is less about detail and more about the ambience, atmosphere, look & feel etc, of the image??? To me the second Gaur appears to be much further back and therefore in this 'type of image' being in focus and or on the same 'plane of focus' is not necessary??? For me it's wasted DoF, which in turn meant less SS and ISO albeit here it's only 160.

Cheers
    Steve

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Haseeb - Nicely done and planned. Yes to a little more at the base. Agree a little more below and less above but I really like your thinking here and good to see you experimenting. Love the sunburst/rays.

Steve - I'll explain my thinking on my image in that thread but I am presuming that Haseeb stopped down mostly to create the sunburst but also to control the hls shooting into the sun and create the underexposed silhouette. He certainly doesn't need more ss (and again the high ss is to create the dark silhouette). If he shot wide open almost surely the sky would have been blown and he would lose the sunburst.

TFS,
    Rachel

12. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi again Haseeb - I had a play with the crop. I decided the second gaur without its legs showing wasn't really adding to the image so I cropped from the right and above and then added a little more canvas below. The crop did reveal a little sloppiness in the masking in the op

Rachel

14. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Jon, as I mentioned in my feedback, am I missing something here, but why on both Haseeb's and Rachel's image, do you need so much DoF based on this type of image. Surely something like this is less about detail and more about the ambience, atmosphere, look & feel etc, of the image??? To me the second Gaur appears to be much further back and therefore in this 'type of image' being in focus and or on the same 'plane of focus' is not necessary??? For me it's wasted DoF, which in turn meant less SS and ISO albeit here it's only 160.

Cheers
    Steve
    Are we at cross purposes Steve - the shutter speed was 1/4000 sec - sounds pretty fast to me??

Threads
    Thank You Posts

the shutter speed was 1/4000 sec - sounds pretty fast to me??
    SS given Jon, it's the DoF why f/14?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve - as I said, likely for the sunburst effect.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    SS given Jon, it's the DoF why f/14?
    Keeps the grasses in focus to a larger extent.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb, a cool image which you nearly pulled off. I like the idea and the RP by Rachel is an improvement. Good thinking in the field!

20. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello everyone ! Thank you for your comments and suggestions. I liked the RP and agree with you all reg the space it needs. The inclusion of second Gaur was a personal choice here. I also have a frame with a single Gaur in the same settings. DOF f/14 was to give sun more form as Rachel already mentioned as only under exposing the image was not extracting tht kind of output.

But anyways I can try something like this whenever I get an opportunity with keeping in mind the discussion above .
    thankyou all once again , much appreciated !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

And forgot to mention that , those are not dust spots but birds so didn't quiet felt cloning them out.