Thread: Sacred Kingfisher

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sacred Kingfisher

Attached Images Attached Images

These birds excavate a nesting cavity in termite mounds on the side of trees. They fly in from a nearby tree and have a dig for a bit then fly back. To get this shot I set my AF expansion four focal points at the top right of the frame as the bird was flying in from left to right. I held focus on the landing spot viewing through my right eye while watching for the bird flying in with my left eye. When I saw it coming I held the shutter; I was about 15 meters away. These birds are flying missiles so I had barely half a second to get some shots all the while standing on a 35 deg slope holding the 6 kg camera/lens steady for up to a minute or so. Interestingly I later discovered that these birds were at the same time feeding young in another nest nearby so I repeated the process there and will post a shot from that session later. All up over five days I spent about ten hours at this and got a few keepers.

1DXII 400mm F/2.8L II 1/5000 f4 iso2000 ev +0.7 early morning to get the best light penetrating the tree cover and needed the high iso to get the shutter speed up to stop those fast wings. DPP PS about a 50% crop S&H and light sharpening.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sweet shot, Colin. I'm sure it was hard getting this but it's worked very well with nice detail, colour, tone and pose. I got similar shots with a kookaburra once but that was a lot easier with a bigger, slower-moving bird.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A difficult shot indeed, but you have done well to freeze the Kingfisher and expose against the bright background.
    A tighter crop might help to reduce the amount of background.
    TFS

Graham.