Thread: Roe deer capreolus capreolus uk

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Icon1 Roe deer capreolus capreolus uk

A young doe in moulting her winter coat with the red orange of summer coming through . Glenn in part this is posted for you, after your comments previously, I wanted to show you both the incredible change this species goes through coat wise and also how it manifests it's self both in overal body shape and particularly her face. When she's through the molt she will be pretty much a uniform burnt red/orange bar the markings of course. Tricky guys Glenn,but being a native one I take great pleasure in seeing and trying to get to know.Much of their life goes unseen ,i've only once see a buck courting a doe,only once seen bucks sparring (even then not the full rut. i'm very lucky to have seen that most here won't have

Guys you have seen this fella before i've already shown you one frame from this set. Processed in DPP4.7 WB colour tiny bit of NR gamma. then exported as 16bit tiff to PSCC (still in adobe rgb) created two layers and a mask sharpened the subject NR to bkg not much else really,a Base start. My main goal really was learning about the ways one can extract a subject. Then converted for web and to srgb as jpeg. Frame is uncropped canon 1div 1/1250 f7.1 iso 2500

Name:  Untitled1.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  293.1 KB

thanks for the thoughts on my previous images

take care

stu
    Last edited by Stuart Philpott; 01-06-2018 at 12:51 PM. Reason: submit by mistake

2. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Man that deer has big ears. Like all the vegetation. Cool to see the change from winter to summer in the coat.

4. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Stu, I like the framing and the POV looking down. Techs look better too, so it seems you are getting to grips with the new bit of kit, albeit that I still feel the 5DMK4 & 500 would have been better .

The flowers over the head is a bit unfortunate, but no deal breaker. Overall it looks flat, firstly check your settings as it has an RGB embedded profile, not sRGB. Overall a bit of warmth in some Saturation and tweak the Greens (might go a bit more warmer???), it then comes to life I feel??

Nice one Stu.

TFS
    Steve

PS Just very quickly remove the flower just to show the comparison.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Stu, I like the framing and the POV looking down. Techs look better too, so it seems you are getting to grips with the new bit of kit, albeit that I still feel the 5DMK4 & 500 would have been better .

The flowers over the head is a bit unfortunate, but no deal breaker. Overall it looks flat, firstly check your settings as it has an RGB embedded profile, not sRGB. Overall a bit of warmth in some Saturation and tweak the Greens (might go a bit more warmer???), it then comes to life I feel??

Nice one Stu.

TFS
    Steve

PS Just very quickly remove the flower just to show the comparison.
    Thanks very much Steve sorry my bad it's the old lens Steve I hit submit by accident went back but missed out the lens my humble apologies. I mused the flowers Steve wondered if they would be picked up on,cheers for showing that little extra nugget. Maybe I'm being overly cautious on the saturation Steve ha ha it's hard to remember vibrant greens from the summer in all this grey ,although it's got nicer now I'm about to start work,as expected. I'll look at this and that colour space it must have been when I converted to jpeg Steve again thanks for picking it up,I was sure I had that bit right,but am really grateful that you spotted this.

Pov is a bit unusual especially for me and deer,she across a track which is lower than both of us,mind the grass is so long i'd have been scuppered if I was lower. Thanks ever so much for the time and the edit mate !!

Ha Ha i'd have loved camera and lens buddy ,but couldn't afford both,sadly. Frankly the DO ran me far enough. Mind the lens choice is open to debate,I doubt that spar(see ETL) would be in the bag,no way I'd have moved a 500 HH that fast, Steve too heavy. I don't honestly think I could have got the old 300 there,if i'm honest man she was tanking .

Techs are better than recent posts because I had some light, the image was made late may/junetime. That sparrow hawk image is the only frame in recent weeks where my iso was lower than SS, it's been pretty dull and grey here of late .

Thanks mate good stuff really useful

take care

stu

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu - Glad to see you experimenting and trying things in PS. There's definitely a learning curve and don't try to master or use everything all at once. I like what Steve has done with the greens here. Interesting to see the molting.

TFS,
    Rachel

8. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Hollander View Post
    Hi Stu - Glad to see you experimenting and trying things in PS. There's definitely a learning curve and don't try to master or use everything all at once. I like what Steve has done with the greens here. Interesting to see the molting.

TFS,
    Rachel
    Hi Rachel yes ps will be little steps like all I do ironically I'll never be a hare ,I'm a tortoise ,too old to change.but old enough to know you are absolutely right ,and how I learn .

Those greens are interesting Rachel,in life that patch was incredibly vibrant,either side where you saw the previous image from this set a totally different colour,not relevent to my processing Steve's closer., I've been swayed by the greens I see now in winter here and not trying to make them too vibrant . Yet I know when processing those summer images I made comments on the spring vibrance here in blighty,it's an error on my part and I'm chuffed Steve picked up on it I'm a bit shy with sat Rachel I have seen so many overdone images,sometimes I don't replicate what I saw like I should !!

I spent the day with some young boar yesterday Rachel it was wonderful what really stuck us both looking at the images last night was how their individual colours differ,which reminded me of this particular grass,in these roe images. It's an interesting facet, that two frames taken seconds apart can have a base plant like grasses of such differing colours

cheers

stu

10. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu .....you slowly making your way !!!
    Base image does look ok ....but needs a bit more oomph .
    Steve has taken it into the right direction ,a bit too far for my taste , but bet this is for demo purpose .
    Not too fuzzed about the shooting angle to be honest , but this is just my view.
    Keep it slow to get your hands around PS .

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hi Stu .....you slowly making your way !!!
    Base image does look ok ....but needs a bit more oomph .
    Steve has taken it into the right direction ,a bit too far for my taste , but bet this is for demo purpose .
    Not too fuzzed about the shooting angle to be honest , but this is just my view.
    Keep it slow to get your hands around PS .

TFS Andreas
    Hi Andreas ,sorry slow in response !! Point noted on oomph Yes PS will be slow,but it is so wonderful to have it and finally start learning this stage.

Little steps Andreas, PS is so flexible there is so much to learn, good fun though. It's been great going through my images to find things to process. It's been a long wait,but good for me !!

take care

stu