Thread: Bobcat

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Bobcat

Attached Images Attached Images

I don't seek these animals to photograph but do relish the opportunity when chance allows. Dottie and I came across this lovely cat while driving along Black Point Wildlife Drive in Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge on Merritt Island, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D7000
    Nikon 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6 VR AF-S ED image captured at 300mm
    1/1250 F/8 Matrix Metering EV 0 ISO 1250 AWB
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic CC and Photoshop CC 2018
    Cropped slightly for composition and presentation
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cool sighting I have only seen a bobcat once. It ran out in front of my car one night. This bobcat does not look impressed.

3. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

If we had them here Jo (UK) I'm sure I'd be hunting this one for an image sadly pretty much all our apex predators have been exterminated by us humans,I despair at times at what goes on here.

I'd maybe like a bit more below please Jo apart from that it's a lovely image of something I imagine is incredibly elusive and I honestly don't want to change much

TFS

stu

5. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely shot Jo I like it very much, I may just think about lifting the darker tones a little just top see if it improves - it may/may not.

7. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe, a lovely encounter and nice to see he/she was very relaxed with your presence.

Nicely framed, however having a little more below would be nice, but I doubt a deal breaker, perhaps you do and this is just a crop of the original??? However, Jon picked up my point and that is the subject does look a bit dark. Reducing some of the contrast, blacks and opening up the shadows a fraction does help, but I also like to use Curves to with specific 'tonal' ranges within the Channels. Tweaking some of the colours too, does I think help so there is more of a 'uniformity' overall, if that makes sense. For me what highlights it all, is the lovely, fine detail you have in the grasses and so this should echo with the subject so there is a seamless 'picture'.

The body on the LHS may need to be a fraction more in 'shadow' so to speak, but hopefully it may help?

TFS
    Steve

9. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice work Joe and good to see you over here on Wildlife. I imagine these sightings are pretty rare so well done to get this, and a nice sharp, relatively unobstructed view. Steve had taken this where I would go by lifting the darker parts of the cat as the first thing that struck me about the original post was that the animal looked a bit 'inky' in the shadowed areas. Hope you get more encounters and we get to see them!

11. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joseph -- A lovely looking specimen of Bobcat and a nice eye contact as well . Agree with STeve and Jon, reg it being dark. Steve's RP has certainly improved the image . I would have liked some more separation from the BKG but tht is something not in your hands at all. But a few tweaks as suggested above will make this a nice frame. TFS !

13. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe - A lovely look at the bobcat and nice that he posed for you. I agree about a little more below and also about the op being a little dark but, as Steve suggested, would go somewhere in between your op and his rp at lifting/opening the shadows on the left side as viewed. Keep them coming.

TFS,
    Rachel

15. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone for viewing, commenting, and suggesting improvements. I revisited the image this morning. This is an edit reflecting your suggestions.
    Last edited by Joseph Przybyla; 01-09-2018 at 08:28 AM.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Przybyla View Post
    Thanks everyone for viewing, commenting, and suggesting improvements. I revisited the image this morning. This is an edit reflecting your suggestions.
    I like the tones......but do I see a magenta cast on the bobcat?

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

but do I see a magenta cast on the bobcat?
    Indeed there is Jon, plus some Blue too. Joe I would look at Blue, Purple & Magenta and if you want, do it as an adjustment layer where you can just target specific areas in question, but the RP is much better.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joseph ...well very nice to get the bobcat looking relaxed in this image .I bet many times you will see them disappearing.
    So you did well or had just luck ....i the end it does not matter .
    I do like the pose of the bobcat with the head turn facing the camera ...framing does look good to me.
    Overall i think the image is too saturated and the blacks and contrast is too heavy for my taste.
    But this could be improved if you like ...
    TFS Andreas