Thread: Snapping Turtle

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Snapping Turtle

Attached Images Attached Images

Portrait of a snapper. This snapper was just hanging out on the bank of the inlet one morning. It was just like a statue. It was also a smaller snapper. I would not try to get 20 inches from one of the bigger ones i have seen.

Camera on sticks triggered with remote. Manual focus with live view.

Full Frame.

Canon 5D MarkIII
    Canon 180mm 3.5L USM Macro
    ISO 100
    f/11
    0.3sec
    Last edited by John Mack; 01-03-2018 at 05:24 PM.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John - Wow, I think this is one of the best images you've posted. Love all the detail and textures that come through. Some of the blacks are a little heavy. I'm not so concerned about the ones under the chin but would take a look at the ones in the eye area. Is this ff? I might prefer a little more room to the left but not a deal breaker. This would have been a good image for last month's theme . Nice one.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank your Rachel, It is full frame.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John, a very nice head shot and close up of the snapper. That eye is amazing and the textures and detail excellent. TFS.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super shot, good and sharp. Did you try any slightly further away and also any landscape to get a tad more DOF?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    . Did you try any slightly further away and also any landscape to get a tad more DOF?
    Thank you Jonathan. Yes i did shot this from several different angles and compositions from portrait to landscape.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Mack View Post
    Thank you Jonathan. Yes i did shot this from several different angles and compositions from portrait to landscape.
    I think I would speak for others too if I say I would like to see some!!

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

A cool shot John, with some nice detail, however this is where you have to think about coupling with PSCC 2018 as LR can only do so much. You can then get more form and detail from key areas to create depth to the subject. Not sure if more DoF would have helped, but you choice of ISO was way off I feel, creating such a slow SS, interesting no one else picked up on this? I like the tight crop, but a sliver off the top for me.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John well this a great portrait of this species .
    I do like the tightness of the frame .Good to see all the fine lines and cracks in the head of this turtle .
    Colors looking good to me , the basic tonality is ok for me , but Steve has taken it up a notch with his edits .
    I might try to lighten the LLC to get a bit more separation between the subject and BG.

Nice one , TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Innovative shot which I like a lot, John. But I think Steve has lifted this a bit more with his repost even though I thought the original looked good. Nice work and yes, I'd like to see some of the other shots if you are willing.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John -- This is a terrific portrait with some excellent details . I think Steve has improved it with his RP and provided very nice suggestions as well . One of your best so far . TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve I noticed the slow SS but also the tripod and remote control and effective MLU in live view. The details look remarkably good. Inevitably the maximum detail would be captured when there is no movement of the subject and none in the camera. The turtle was "static" inevitably there would have been some minute movement because it was alive but I would have thought this was negligible. I would have thought camera movement was negligible too. Having said that if the shutter speed was twice as fast or ten or other multiple times faster it would correspondingly reduce any possibility of detecting movement. There is no getting away from a faster shutter speed capturing finer detail because it reduces the time in which movement is recorded.... but having said that the image looks sharp and well detailed to me. I wonder just how much more detail there would have been if the shutter speed had been increased, I think the only way of knowing would be to try multiple exposure settings if time permits.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    A cool shot John, with some nice detail, however this is where you have to think about coupling with PSCC 2018 as LR can only do so much. You can then get more form and detail from key areas to create depth to the subject. Not sure if more DoF would have helped, but you choice of ISO was way off I feel, creating such a slow SS, interesting no one else picked up on this? I like the tight crop, but a sliver off the top for me.

TFS
    Steve
    Thanks Steve, if you think it looks good. The average person will think it is outstanding. What did you do in Photoshop here? Curves? I was also surprised nobody commented on the ISO and shutter speed. Thanks again.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What did you do in Photoshop here?
    Just some simple Channels and Blend modes with Masks.