Thread: Morning loon

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Morning loon

Attached Images Attached Images

This common loon was captured with the nice morning light in July this past summer, in Northern Michigan.

D4, 600VR, f/6.3. ISO 1600

Post: Cleaned a few spots in the water, toned down the reflection a bit. No increase in saturation (the eye really can be that vivid red when the light is just right)

Advice and comments always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Your loon shots just kill me. I have been dying to photograph loons for years but just can't ever seem to make it work. I love the way the bird looks against that green water. I would clean up 2 little spots in the water. One is just above where the beak touched the head at the edge of the transition zone and the other is below beak level and at the left edge of the frame. Also the back part of the body seems a touch blue to me. Is that just the reflection of the water or what?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful light here. Love the green in the water. The reflection is nice as well.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Randy, image colors are spot on do to sky and water reflection, there are a few sensor spots. Details, HA, and BG are sweet.

-Tim

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

almost perfect! love the lighting, head angle, sharpness, green tones of the smooth water. tack sharp! Only thing I would do different is try to desaturate the blue and cyan colors on its back and the water around it. great shot! looking forward to loon season!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful low angle shot of this Loon. I really like the soft nice colors around it. I wish someday I get the opportunity to photograph them, I have yet to see a Loon in my life!

My only suggestion as mentioned aboce aswell, is to tone down the blue/cyan colors on the back of the Loon and on the water.