Thread: Dolphin

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Dolphin

Name:  Sunball-dolphin-BPN-theme.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  394.5 KB

This was a shot I planned before getting in the water - but the actual execution wasn't done in the intended way! To explain better, my intention was to get the 'standard' shots, then go for the more arty type stuff such as this. However, once people cottoned on to what I was doing and having dolphins close by I got crowded out with people bumping into me and swimming into my shots - some even had the cheek to ask for free souvenirs with them in the shots later on...

Therefore, this frame had an element of luck in that I got the shot as it was second in a sequence and the strobes had not recycled in time so didn't fire. If it had been my planned frame I would have used a higher SS rather than the sync speed, but all said and done I don't think its too far off what I envisaged. I did consider a total silhouette, but decided on leaving a little detail in the dolphin.

Canon 1dx
    Sigma 15mm fisheye
    ISO 400
    1/250th f14

About 90% full frame with a little bit taken off the right for balance

Happy new year to all

Mike

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike, this works just fine. Glad you got the shot despite the crowd. Nice back lit image with subtle details coming through in the dolphin. Well done.

3. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike - This works quite well with the chosen subject. A dolphin has such a recognizable silhouette and with the bit of detail it comes through nicely. I also like that the environment still has a bit of detail too. An alternate crop worth considering is more of a pano, cropping at the edge of the bright white area from the sun. Nice one despite the interference from others.

TFS,
    Rachel

5. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike , lovely subject and a well executed UW frame .
    I do agree about the crop suggestion from Rachel .Plus i might boost things a bit more in terms of color / contrast .And again i personally would work on the cyans in the sand and rocks , still trying to keep the natural UW blueness . Hope you understand what i mean .

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love that blue water background. Great frame.

8. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That's a wide lens Mike! The perspective on the shot looks almost normal in spite of it. Nice to have the natural light in this one and the three environment elements visible: sea floor, water and sun. The water does look a wonderful colour. I can seen some posterisation below the dolphin though but not sure you can do much about it. I'd be tempted to play with the tones in this one to get a bit more separation for the dolphin.

10. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great shot Mike I like it as presented. Not too sure how my patience would pan out in those circumstances. Have you considered taking some kind of notice board suggesting people keep their distance whilst you are trying to get photographs. (Maybe just two words would do the trick)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike -- What a lovely frame , loved the concept and the scene. agree with what Rachel and Andreas has to say , but a very nice image . TFS !

13. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hi Mike , lovely subject and a well executed UW frame .
    I do agree about the crop suggestion from Rachel .Plus i might boost things a bit more in terms of color / contrast .And again i personally would work on the cyans in the sand and rocks , still trying to keep the natural UW blueness . Hope you understand what i mean .

TFS Andreas
    Thanks Andreas ( and Rachel of the similar thought! ). Its difficult t get the balance of the colours on the sea bed right with shots like these as the blues vary as the go deeper the further away from the camera they are. Keeping them natural is tough!

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    Great shot Mike I like it as presented. Not too sure how my patience would pan out in those circumstances. Have you considered taking some kind of notice board suggesting people keep their distance whilst you are trying to get photographs. (Maybe just two words would do the trick)
    An excellent idea - Just need to put a few different languages on it and I reckon I could sell a few!