Thread: Red-Tailed Hawk

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red-Tailed Hawk

Attached Images Attached Images

Is 2018 the Year of the Hawk?

Doubt it, but this Red-Tailed got the New Year going for me. I know the BKG and to some degree low flight angle aren't exactly idea - but I was thankful he decided to fly my way and feel the color/detail on the bird came out quite well (liking what the D850 sensor gives)...

Details: D850 + Sigma 500/4, 1/3200, ISO 640, 6.3, 25 point AFC, No EC, HH, Post: C1P RAW to PS CCC - full frame with a smidgen of sky added to the top, no NR but some clone/cleanup work and SS on output to JPEG.
    Last edited by Jay Ing; 01-01-2018 at 10:27 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent timing and exposure. Bummer that he was on a wooden gate. The white thing (a hasp?) by his head was bad luck.

Here are my main questions: was the focus a bit past the head? What AF settings do you use with the D-850? Have you used a D-5? If yes, how does it compare AF-wise to the D-850? Have you used the Nikon 200-500?

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A fine shot, I too did wonder about the plane of focus. The pale patch could easily be dealt with if you were so inclined - I think it would help.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the visible red tail, details and composition. Gate already mentioned but I would be happy to have this in my files.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Focus mode is AFC with 25 point. Back-button set to Release (as opposed to Release + focus, Focus+Release or Focus), Focus Tracking is 3, Subject motion is on the midway point, General number of focus points=55

The white patch behind the head is a combo of light and bird poo. I'll take it out and repost to see what you think. I pulled it at some point in post and thought the light patch actually worked as a contract point to his head as the fence and face are so similarly colored.

Focus point was just above the head. C1P shows most all but the feet in good focus but I'm not sure how accurate that is.

I have not used the D5 but I've read a lot about both cameras as I almost bought the D5 too. Most say the D850 may have the same AF system as the D5 but the D5 tracks noticeably better. That said I have shot a lot with the D500 and feel the D850 tracks a bit better than that. I have no complaints other than the cost to get to 9 fps and that fact that it's not 10-12 fps. But it's amazing it can swallow 7-9 at 45.7 mp so I should keep the smile on my face. I don't have (and have not used) the 200-500. I opted for the 70-200 with TC (if need be) for a short zoom and the 300 PF (with or without TC 1.4) for my intermediate setup and the Sigma 500/4 (with or without TC) for my long work. This works pretty well for me. I had and old the Tamron 150-600 G2 and may get it or the Sigma 150-600 back in the mix. It is nice to have a light long zoom if it performs well and I think they both do. I usually HH, but sometimes go with a Jobu Monopod and Jobu Gimbal or Tripod and Gimbal - but only if I plan to "camp a spot" or if I didn't eat my Wheaties. The 200-500 could be that lens but it's a bit heavier and slower to focus (acquisition) but it does have better tracking and nice IQ.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Question of my own. If one is not entering a shot into a contest but just shooting for pleasure as I am - is it "wrong" to post process out something like this fence? I removed several things to get to this point but at some point you're no longer showing the shot you got...on the other hand you generally have the same setting with heavy edits so...

J

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Excellent timing and exposure. Bummer that he was on a wooden gate. The white thing (a hasp?) by his head was bad luck.

Here are my main questions: was the focus a bit past the head? What AF settings do you use with the D-850? Have you used a D-5? If yes, how does it compare AF-wise to the D-850? Have you used the Nikon 200-500?

with love, artie
    Last edited by Jay Ing; 01-02-2018 at 11:52 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice flight frame Jay, I never tire of seeing raptors in flight - all other points already noted

Mike

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This bird looks great. Love the pose and the details. Fully agree with Artie re the white area and the man made structure in the background. I love the varied background with the water and those thin trees. It is really pleasing. Did you do some cloning on the bottom left of the frame? The water below the post looks off to me.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Grant View Post
    This bird looks great. Love the pose and the details. Fully agree with Artie re the white area and the man made structure in the background. I love the varied background with the water and those thin trees. It is really pleasing. Did you do some cloning on the bottom left of the frame? The water below the post looks off to me.
    I'll give the white area a bit of work. Yes, there are a few areas I had to do some work... I'll also look at that lower sky area too. Thanks for the compliments and suggestions. Always appreciated. J

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The detail and DOF look great on this Jay and I think it's a very impressive image with great tonal rendition even on the underside of the bird. With that big lens at f 6.3 I'm surprised about how much is sharp. I can't add much to the comments from others about the background but this still works pretty well in spite of it.